• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help required - head not right (!) (1 Viewer)

PhilW

can anyone help?
My Manfrotto 200 tripod head has been getting 'notchy' recently in the up & down plane. Horizontal plane is OK. On stripping it down I found no damage to either the bearings or the shaft. However, the 'grease' is very tacky. Should it be like this? Does anyone know if its possible to buy a service kit?

Any advice appreciated (except buying a new one cos I can't afford it).

Thanks.

I sometimes think my head is not right, either :king:

Not quite sure exactly what you're problem is, but one I had with my Manfrotto tripod head was that the screws on the underside of the head came a bit loose, which made the head very wobbly even with the nuts tightened down. So look at the underside, and see if any of the three screws need tightening.

Michael

Thanks Michael.
The problem appears to be that the grease has got tacky and this is causing the head to stick - very frustrating when your trying to track something. I sprayed WD40 on the locking nuts a few days ago andf I'm wondering if this has affected the grease.

I cleaned everything off with a solvent and applied vaseline - this seems t ohave done the trick. You were right about the underside. The nut holding the head onto the 'pod was coming lose!!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back