• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mike's conservatory (1 Viewer)

Here's two of the three, sorry if the harris upsets anyone, I'm just trying to make a living here. ;)

Mike

Attachments

• peak400.jpg
    peak400.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 135
  • kiaglove400.jpg
    kiaglove400.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 127
Congratulations Mike!
I have no problem at all with the Harris hawk, believe me!
I belong also to the majority of the artists who are forced to draw subjects
they actually don't' really like, to be able to pay their bills!
Although in your case, your subject was a raptor, which I'm sure you particularly enjoyed!
By the way, your sparrow and peregrine sketches are spot on!

Paschalis

The third one was the pheasant commission, the gallery got the payment this week so at least I know the client was happy.

I particularly like Harris' hawks and feel they are often written off by artists in favour of more glamorous birds like the gos or peregrine. Anyway I love painting leather!

Mike

You know I'd be lying if I said the Harris appealed to me, but that doesn't alter the fact that it is masterfully painted and a wonderfully alive bird. The peregrines on the other hand have enormous appeal, interesting composition and excellent use of a restricted pallette - both winners, just one not my cup of tea (though it doesn't upset me of course!).

Fair 'nuff Nick! Straight portraits of falconry birds are pretty specific in their appeal so some are bound to like it more than others and falconry is almost guaranteed to divide opinion on this forum. I've done lots of similar pieces and they've always proved popular in the market for which they are intended.

Glad you mentioned the limited pallette on the peregrines, I was trying to 'hide' the lower bird a bit with colour and composition.

Mike

Fair 'nuff Nick! Straight portraits of falconry birds are pretty specific in their appeal so some are bound to like it more than others and falconry is almost guaranteed to divide opinion on this forum. I've done lots of similar pieces and they've always proved popular in the market for which they are intended.

Glad you mentioned the limited pallette on the peregrines, I was trying to 'hide' the lower bird a bit with colour and composition.

Mike

You hid it perfectly, it was only when I opened up the thumbnail that I noticed it was there - very clever.

Once again the weather let us down this weekend; Grey, rainy and windy. We parked up and waited to see if the sun would manage any kind of display but the rain and cloud watered down its valiant effort to a thin lightbulb effect. Whist the coots acted beligerently and the lapwings peewitted for all they were worth, a marsh harrier passed overhead, calling and displaying. Seconds behind came another, this time high in the sky, behaving for all the world like a buzzard. It looked like she was struggling against the wind to maintain her direction. It's a good time of year for Elmley, the wheatears are back! Spotted a pair, wonderful spring plumaged male and his elegant mate. The male seemed happy to sit on his little lump of mud whilst the female busied herself amongst the grass. Similar to a sunday at my house really! When he did finally move off we made our way to the car park toilets for a pit stop, past the resident kestrel sitting in her bush by the road. We stopped long enough to watch her plunge to the grass and dispatch a worm. The little owl was sitting at the entrance to his box but soon ducked back inside as the rain got heavier, it seems as though the other box will be occupied by stock doves this year. A brief wander down the path through the orchard revealed lots of chaffinches, house sparrows, greenfinches, goldfinches and a chiffchaff calling out the spring despite the weather. Time was limited this week but there was time to relocate the wheatear on the way home. Now we wait for the yellow wags, swallows, martins and the hobbies to return...

My birding buddy Andy sneakily took a couple of pics of my sketchbook on sunday!

Mike

Attachments

• wheatearsktchs.jpg
    wheatearsktchs.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 99
  • lilowlsktch.jpg
    lilowlsktch.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 100
  • wheatysktch.jpg
    wheatysktch.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 115
  • a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 107
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
The weekend conservatory project was a wren painting. I've wanted to paint a wren in a landscape for a while now and the idea of contrasting the sprite like wren with the heavyness of a stone wall applealed. I love the way these little birds live amongst the tumbled stones, treating them as some vast castle that man has constructed especially for thieir use.

Mike

Attachments

• wrenwallow.jpg
    wrenwallow.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 137
Beautiful fieldwork, Mike - the centre wheatear is a stonker! Sorry about the weather - we've had near-Mediterranean conditions up here - makes a nice change. This latest painting is a thing of real beauty. All your familiarity with, and knowledge of the speciaes and its habitat is glaringly obvious. Love it very much.

superb fieldwork - yes that wheatear is stunning, and the little owl is as excellent as we expect from you.

Now, this Wren, f*in' marvellous! Wonderful juxtaposition of such a small bird in its huge habitat, I love the way that such a small light thing is played against the huge tree, and the huge heavy sky. Yet it still retains a great presence - wonderful!

I agree with the comments regarding the wren.....Great picture from the woody house, But i am a little concerned about the pigeon sketch, where did you get the inspiration from and how long did it model for before moving off exactly......never seen one of those in my 'big book o birds'

Well, Mike, Tim and Nick have said it all. That middle wheateater is my fav too. And you have made that little delicate wren look like a master over his landscape. You've implied his attitude perfectly.

hi Mike,

Sorry have not dropped in here for a bit, it's been my loss! The Wren and Landscape is really lovely, really intimate little painting, top class stuff. Your Wheatear studies are wonderful too, particularily the middle bird as rightly mentioned by so many others.
Will save the highest praise for last though, that is for the peregrine pair. A truly outstanding painting, in my opinion one of the finest I have seen posted here on the forum....

Thanks everyone! I am quite pleased with the wren, I don't find landscapes easy so it's nice to challenge myself every now and again. I have found, with a return to my more detailed style, that the big, blobby brush stuff has had an influence for the good. It just proves that you never stop learning. What to do next? The barn owl or maybe a wheatear....

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back