• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon D60-90 (1 Viewer)

Medlock44

I understand there is some talk of Canon announcing in March a replacement for the the D60. Supposedly the D90. I notice one dealer has already advised no more D60 were available. Anyone got any other info on this.

the only info i have heard is that they (D60) are discont but no news of any replacement yet
keep an eye on www.dpreview.com
they seem to have all the gossip as soon as it hits the street and sometimes before !
if i hear anything i will post it

Aren't they moving into full frame sensors?....which will mean that the lenses won't give 1.5x (or there-abouts) over the stated lens focal length. Good news for landscape snappers, maybe not brilliant for wildlife people...you'll have to buy a t.c.!
Andy

Canon release 2 new cameras in May in the UK, they are the D80 which is an 8mp full 35mm sized sensor camera based on the EOS3, and the D40 which would appear to be a smaller format camera similar to APS and might possibly be a new format.
My personal feelings are that 8mp and indeed the EOS1Ds at 11mp are not a great advantage over D60 at the moment, the D60 has a sensor that is smaller than 35mm format by 1.6X (meaning you lenses are 1.6x more powerful) so the equivalent sensor area on the D80 is only 5mp and on the 1Ds its 7.1mp and at 6k a go the 1Ds is a big investment for just a 0.8mp increase in resolution over the D60's 6.3 megapixels. Of course if you can get closer to your subject then you will gain the advantage in resolution terms, but with the long minimum focus distance on larger lenses (5.1 metres on my 600mm f4) this means that it is not possible to get any closer so there is no real gain.

Nigel

Last edited:
Andybrightuk said:
Aren't they moving into full frame sensors?....which will mean that the lenses won't give 1.5x (or there-abouts) over the stated lens focal length. Good news for landscape snappers, maybe not brilliant for wildlife people...you'll have to buy a t.c.!
Andy

Thanks Nigel for the update. I came to the same conclusions. So went ahead and bought the D60 and 100/400 IS zoom.
- Mike

Thanks for that Nigel amd Congratulations Mike !
I'd love one too, but I guess I will have to wait a while :(

The D60 seems to be the most popular wildlife camera at the moment. They will probably all switch to full-frame sensors, which will drive the price up quite a bit for the next year or two and as Nigel says, not yield us a lot in benefit.

Paula,

I don't think you can really go wrong with any of the digital SLRS. The concensus on the dpreview Canon Digital SLR forum is probably that the D1 (predessessor to D1S, with its superior autofocus system, 8 fps speed and professional build quality, beats the D60 for action photography and some reburbished units have been for sale lately at prices on slightly higher than the D60. That said I have been using my D60 for almost 6,000 photos now and have no real complaints. Whatever you do don't skimp on the lens (telephoto in the case of birding) if you want to see what these camera are truly capable of.

Vogelman (Canon D60 with Canon 70-200 F4L and lots of other stuff)

Paula, the D60 is a fine camera. The Nikon N100 is also a great camera. However, if you can, you might want to wait until after March to purchase your camera. That is when the PMA (Print Image Annual Convention, I think) show is, and many things will be come forth. Here is a link to their webpage.

http://pma2003.pmai.org/default.htm

Thanks Nigel and to Mike congrats on your new gear! Great camera eh?
I am now looking at another lens or two... but what fun...the 600 mm is my new goal.. and another everyday one.

Thanks folks for the advise. Will wait till March and hope some kind souls will let me look through their viewfinders at the Slimbridge day. Looking forward to that.

Hello Nigel and Andy-

Thanks for posting the 1.5x or 1.6x effective image loss with newer cameras and that the D60 might be the best camera for shooting birds. At this point in time, the new cameras could be out in two weeks time and I would appreciat confirmation if the above information of the D60 being best suited still stands.
Thanks,
Rob Kipp

Hi Rob,
Yes this still stands as it is relevant to the EOS 1Ds at 11.4 Mp
With the D80 which is the next Canon at 8.2Mp (At 35mm chip size) the loss is even greater.
Nigel

Can't say weather its a better deal or not yet if is the same sensor size as D60 then yes it would be worth having, if however it is a full 35mm sensor size then I can't see any advantages at all

Thanks for your help and updated information.
Yes, I see that at this time, it is not clear what the chip size is.
It says that: 35mm Focal Length Equivalent Approx. 1.6x but no comparison of size.

Guess we wait to find out. If you obtain new information, I would appreciate an update.
Many thanks again Nigel,

Rob

From what I have read, it is the same sensor size as the D60, and is suppose to be viewed as an upgrade. Whether it is or not we will have to wait and see. They supposely (hopefully?) took customer comments/reviews, including website reviews, to make the upgrades. dpreview has a good review/comparison on the two now. Best of all, it is suppose to sell for $1,500 (US) once the initial mayhem calms down.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back