• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panny FZ70 - 60x compact! (1 Viewer)

Looks similar to the Canon SX50 specwise, though with a somewhat lower zoom range at the wide end, and a new sensor Panasonic claims will deliver better low light results (than what?). Too bad it doesn't have the great and unique FZ200 feature that allows you to shoot at the widest aperture throughout the zoom range. Micro 4/3rds still the best way to go IMO if you want very good image quality, portability, and high zoom.

Best,
Jim

Looks similar to the Canon SX50 specwise, though with a somewhat lower zoom range at the wide end, and a new sensor Panasonic claims will deliver better low light results (than what?). Too bad it doesn't have the great and unique FZ200 feature that allows you to shoot at the widest aperture throughout the zoom range. Micro 4/3rds still the best way to go IMO if you want very good image quality, portability, and high zoom.

Best,
Jim

I've a Micro 4/3rds, but I confess I miss the ability to go instantly from wideangle to super zoom without changing lenses that my old FZ camera gave me.

From my experience, the electronic viewfinders in bridge cameras need to improve. I'd take a pass on this camera because of the low resolution (200k) viewfinder. I know it's the same resolution as the SX-50 viewfinder - which is also inadequate.

I think that the Canon SX50 already has all the zoom you need, its a better viewfinder and news of a bigger sensor that I look for. If the camera becomes a little bigger and more heavy then I can go with that.

One important question: is the zoom to 20mm equivalent going to compromize the quality at the other zoom extreme? I think that might be one important aspect as to whether this will be a worthy superzoom for birding.

Niels

I feel that there is potentially an awful lot of electronic image correction going on, mainly at the wide end. It will be interesting to compare JPEGS against RAW.

Panasonic has announced the Lumix DMC-FZ70, a 16.1MP compact superzoom with a 60x optical zoom. Spanning the equivalent of 20-1200mm

There goes the Leica lens! :C That used to be one of my reasons for the FZ series. Will be interesting to see how this one fares.

Going by the pattern of the last several years, there is a high chance that it will be replaced as well.

My reasoning is that they made a new lens to that camera only a short while ago and that it would make sense to have two differentiated bids for this section, one tooting its horn with the constant F and the other with the double reach.

Niels

was trying to decide and now the decision has been made for me. can't wait till September!!

I decided against the Canon 'cos the battery is a chocolate teapot and the Fuji wasn't giving me a lot over and above the old Lumix...

It doesn't last. If you put boiling water in a chocolate teapot it would melt hence the saying...

My current Lumix battery easily lasts a week without charging.

Thanks, should have figured that out, I guess! Never heard/read the expression though.

My Lumix batteries do pretty well too. Depends on how much I use the camera though. I presume a week or more is if you don't use the camera a lot.

I don't take a thousand pictures a day but was suprised that the canon didn't seem to be able to last az day in the field....

I don't take a thousand pictures a day but was suprised that the canon didn't seem to be able to last az day in the field....

If you keep the display going all the time, it might be pretty normal. I notice on my FZ150, as well as on previous models, that the battery may not last a full day if the camera is on most of the time, like on an air show.

I decided against the Canon 'cos the battery is a chocolate teapot and the Fuji wasn't giving me a lot over and above the old Lumix...[/QUOTE said:
The battery life is not really an issue with me on the Canon SX50. The batteries are as cheap as chips on ebay.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back