• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Action Extreme 8x40 ATB Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Tantien

Does anyone have any impressions of these as to their quality or features or ease of use?

They are Nikons after all and carry that great warranty. But how do they perform? Enough eye-relief? Smooth, focuser, etc.

It almost seems like Nikon is the only mainstream manufacturer (other than Bushnell) to keep this waterproofed style alive and still back their products.

I will be looking at Opticron as well but I'm beginning to think I should stay with Nikon. The specs on these are very good overall if you don't count the close focus being 16 feet or care that the weight is 30+ oz.

I had the 10x40 and they were bright and fairly sharp, just heavy. If you don't mind holding onto a big porro then I think they're a good deal.

Does anyone have any impressions of these as to their quality or features or ease of use?

They are Nikons after all and carry that great warranty. But how do they perform? Enough eye-relief? Smooth, focuser, etc.

It almost seems like Nikon is the only mainstream manufacturer (other than Bushnell) to keep this waterproofed style alive and still back their products.

I will be looking at Opticron as well but I'm beginning to think I should stay with Nikon. The specs on these are very good overall if you don't count the close focus being 16 feet or care that the weight is 30+ oz.

I tried the 8x40 AEs and found the centerfield to be quite sharp and bright for such inexpensive binoculars, but that's your "Big Bang for the Whitetail Buck" with porros.

The sharpness starts falling off about 60-65% from the center and is totally blurry by 70-75%. Most of the remaining 25% is field curvature and can be refocused.

At 30 oz., they feel a bit heavy although most alphas weigh about 27-28 oz., so there's not that much difference. They are chunky, however, which I like since I have large hands, but they are not for the dainty handed.

If I were to buy an AE, I'd go for the 7x35 model. It's only 2 ounces less, but a bit more compact (shorter), has a degree wider FOV, and offers as large an exit pupil as the 8x40 model.

Same eye relief, too. I also like the wide cloth strap better than the skinny leather and nylon cord straps that come with the top 'o the line SEs and EIIs. In fact, I have an Action strap on my 8x32 SE.

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back