• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular cleaning (1 Viewer)

lozninja

Hi there I didn't know what you recommend for cleaning old porros

Hi have a few pair of vintage bins but all in very good condition

if possible I'd like to keep them that way . So I didn't know what anyone would recommend to properly clean them ..
It's more the outside casing of them that worries me as I tend to use them all daily ..

Any tips many thanks

I assume that these are the pebble grained leather/leatherette. If you use DEET or other products such as sun block that you apply with your hands, or get on your hands, it's a good idea to wash the hands and clear the nose area touching the binoculars before handling the binoculars. Deet, in particular, can do a real number on plastics, as well as discolor. I don't know if this product is available to you in the UK, but Aerospace 303 is an outstanding product for keeping UV from discoloring things. A LIGHT dressing of Lexol -the same stuff you use on your car leather, is also good for keeping the skin of the binocular supple, but a little goes a long way; a tiny amount is fine. Remember, it's easier to add more, than to take away too much. Too much of any product and you might loosen the glue that holds the surface on. Vintage porros are generally not sealed against weather, although some are. I live on the east coast of the US and the humidity is a problem, so when not in use, I keep my binoculars in a sealed bag with indicator silica gel that changes color when it is saturated and can then be refreshed in a microwave or oven. BTW, the blue indicator gel has been found to emit carcinogenic fumes when heated, so an alternative that I use is the orange silica gel that turns green when saturated. This will help to dry out your binoculars, as well as help to keep the prisms and interior glass surfaces free of moisture loving fungus. The coating, if any, on vintage binoculars can be fragile, so some care must be taken when cleaning them. First, don't clean them unless they need it; if you do clean them, use something designed for high end photographic optics for optimum protection. A photographic quality lens tissue and fluid will do the trick, but remember, you do NOT want to saturate the lens area and have liquid seep under it, so a drop on a tissue, NOT the lens, should be fine. Microfiber has its place, but unless you are exceedingly careful, micro bits of dust and dirt picked up can act as an abrasive after a few times , so for peace of mind my personal preference is for Tiffen lens tissue and cleaning fluid (formerly made by Kodak). Everyone has their favorite, this just happens to be mine. The rubber eye cups can be kept supple with a product like the Aeorospace 303 that I mentioned earlier. Apply with a Q-Tip that is SPARINGLY moistened so that you don't get any on the lens, then carefully wipe it dry. Leather straps can be kept supple with Lexol, or similar product. If the white lettering on the ocular end caps has been worn off, it can easily be refreshed with a product called "paint stick" that is rubbed on, then carefully wiped off to remove paint from all but the indented lettering; it's a very good idea to experiment on something else first to get a feel for it, a little is much better than a lot, this really is paint. Best of luck and enjoy your collection! You can read about Lexol, Aeorospace 303, and Paint Stick on Amazon US version, perhaps on Amazon.co.uk. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Looks like Lexol is widely available in the US.
Aerospace 303 as well. Both show up at auto and WalMart sites.

I use a tiny bit of Frye boot polish, but it seems the Lexol would add more cleaning ability.

Ammonia window cleaner or 91% isopropyl alcohol (common in drug stores)
works great on the glass. A wet Q-tip rolled lightly on a napkin makes a damp Q-Tip, perfect for the job.
Damp side, then dry side, repeat as needed.

The reason you don't want wet is so the solvent doesn't dissolve some goo and then creep
around to the inside lens surfaces.

I'm nervous of even using optic cleaning fluid on my lenses. I just don't trust them not to start thinning the coatings.

I don't blame you a bit, Amears, I don't like to fool with my lens either, but at some point you're going to have to bite the bullet; perhaps a fingerprint, or just the film from age and atmosphere, the time will come. The point is not to touch them unless they need to be! I have trusted my camera lenses, ranging from Linhof and Rollei, to Nikon, with the Kodak materials (Note: Tiffen seems to have resumed the fluid and tissue Kodak formerly had) and not noticed any issues. That said, it appears that some older coatings are fragile, more so than modern multi-coating, so a very light hand and just a drop on a tissue is the way for me. Others may disagree and prefer chamois, microfiber, lens pen, etc., But not often, and not hard, save the scrubbing for the pots and pans! I apologize for the "soap box"! and wish you and others the best of luck.

I'm nervous of even using optic cleaning fluid on my lenses. I just don't trust them not to start thinning the coatings.

Crown glass (usually the front lens of an objective) is 520 on the Knoop Hardness Scale. Magnesium Fluoride is 575. If the coatings were deposited at the correct temperature, it will be your ABRASION, and not the chemical that removes them. This includes acetone, which is NOT carcinogenic. It's made in our own bodies. It will, however, do bad things to CERTAIN paints and plastics.

There's a lot of really bad science in the amateur optics world, and cleaning lenses leads the pack. Most chemicals should be mixed with a healthy dose of common sense, which has been in short supply for years. :cat:

"Common sense is the LEAST COMMON of all the senses."--Mark Twain

Cheers,

Bill

Last edited:
Windex??? Sorry, friend, you have lost me there; I don't recall having said that. Perhaps you could refresh my memory.

I was responding to: wsj , not fstop
I saw complaints but it was hard to decipher them for positive advice.

Last edited:
What about a box of a few hundred Zeiss alcohol foil wrapped disposable lens cloths? Sometimes they're too wet for the job so I just flap them for a few seconds and the alcohol is half gone.

Isopropyl 99% from your local electronics or drug store is good too I find.

Also, something I've found...if there's a grubby mark or stubborn water spot...let the wet cloth soak it for a few seconds as opposed to scrubbing at it from the outset.

I'm always open to ideas on these things. Once clean, I don't clean that often...just a very soft blow and wipe with a microcloth.

Rathaus

I just tried a new 'assistant' for greasy smears that have
trouble with other solvents: a little can of lighter fluid.

The pseudo-naptha on a swab wisks away stubborn makeup and binocular grease.
Lighter fluid leaves its own tiny residue, but that cleans up easy with the alcohol.
It used to take me along time to clean up after re-greasing accidents...no more.

Zeiss wipes are probably the easiest thing for the casual user to take along.
They also 'hold in' some gritty dust, so..less scratch hazard.
They are available in a surprisingly wide array of stores...drugstores, stationary..

The cheapest table napkins and Windex are fantastic for a quick external at home.
Expensive napkins have tons of lint...no good.

I was responding to: wsj , not fstop
I saw complaints but it was hard to decipher them for positive advice.

I'm WJC , not WSJ, but I think you were referring to me. Sorry to get back so late; my son and his family have been visiting the last few days.

I have offered this section from my "ethereal book" more than once. But I think it is due, again.

Bill

22 “I NEED TO HAVE THE OBJECTIVES PROFESSIONALLY CLEANED.”

The Fallacy: Thorough lens cleaning is an art beyond the capacity of most observers.

The Fact: In the immortal words of Aristotle: “Bull!”

A WARNING!: I have given step-by-step instructions on cleaning optics as simple as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, only to have it repeated back to me as 1, 3, 5, 4, 2. Thus, to save my bacon—of which there are copious amounts—I must say I don’t guarantee one word of what I am about to say. I verify only that I have used these methods successfully for decades.

A STORY: Caring too much causes stress; stress causes a lack of confidence and dexterity; a lack of dexterity can cause optics to be damaged.

A few years ago, a fellow brought in his 4.5-inch telescope mirror for a “professional” cleaning. He carefully unwrapped it and handed it to me with the warning, “Be careful.” As I held it up to inspect from different angles, “Be careful” sounded again, as it did two or three more times as I walked to my office—the customer glued to my heels.

He had a greatly exaggerated view of the intrinsic value of his “precision optic”—a ¾-inch chunk of plate glass.

I only mention this because more overly concerned personalities damage their optics by attaching unrealistic attributes and value to them, and creating over-the-top cleaning techniques, than they would by simply treating them with sensible care.

But then, just as there’s rarely a quantifier for “better or best,” each observer has his or her own view of what constitutes “sensible care.”

So, what is the “best” chemical ingredient for cleaning lenses?

This topic comes up frequently on binocular forums and usually runs on, page after page after page, as observers vie to see who can win the most converts to their way of thinking.

WHAT DID I USE?

The short answer to this question should be: Who cares!?

Researching the Internet, you can come up with a million words on how to clean lenses and prisms. To me, these websites and posts conjure up two thoughts. First, most of them will work just fine. Secondly, why make the task seem as complex as brain surgery and frighten those who could most benefit from the information?

I subscribe to Theodore Roosevelt’s mantra of:

“Do what you can, where you are, with what you have.”

When I found it necessary—usually out of a customer-driven need for speed—I might clean a lens over a sink, washing it with a mild hand soap, and drying it off with soft toilet tissue or a scrap of clean used tee shirt, saved for just such a duty. Sacrilege? Sometimes—to those long on theories, but short on practical experience.

MY PROCESS

1. Blow off loose particulates with a rubber-based, manually operated, spheroidal, atmospheric pressurizer . . . a (new) ear syringe. Or . . .

Photo of Air Bulb

2. Use a camel hair brush to gentle wipe away dust. By the way, camel hair brushes may consist of squirrel, horse, ox, goat, or even bear hair. However, they’re never made of . . . camel hair. Or . . .

3. Use a shot or two of canned air! (I know the thought will make some of the A-type personalities squirm, but that’s more entertaining than TV.) Hold the can upright—8 inches or so from the workpiece, and gently move it over the surface. If you shake it, move it too quickly, or don’t hold the can erect, you run the risk of spraying propellant on the element. That’s not the kiss of death as some believe. Still, unless you’re confident, leave canned air out of the equation.

Optical cleaning solutions and techniques come with all sorts of formulae and recommendations. You’ve seen them: Mix 1% this with 3% that, and then add . . . . These can take 300 words to describe and be confusing to some. Such formulas may be useful for medical applications, or in some aerospace environs, but are incredible wastes of time for even the most critical binocular observer.

I found three cleaning solutions to be the most practical.

1. The first is a light ammonium hydroxide mixture, known to the more scientific among us as NH4OH. To make this chemical at home, you start with 4 ounces of household ammonia, to which you add 16 ounces of rubbing alcohol, and add 1 tsp of dishwashing liquid. After this, add enough water to finish filling a 1-gallon container.

To those lacking in spare time, or don’t care about besting their neighbor’s secret formula, I would recommend buying it off the shelf; it’s commonly called Windex®. Windex has been around since 1933 and has part of the S. C. Johnson family of products since 1993. The chemical giving Windex its blue color is called “Aqua Tint.” It’s not necessary, but originally filled an important marketing role; it showed homemakers they were buying something more than water. If you have to have blue liquid and Aqua Tint is not readily available—and it won’t be—you may use a few drops of blue . . . food dye.

2. The second product I found indispensable was De-Solv-It® by Orange-Sol. Sold in about 60 retail chains in the U.S., it can be found in most leading grocery stores. But why, if you’re already using Windex, do you need anything else? Because different stains require different cleaners. De-Solv-it (also around since the ‘30s, although originally sold under a different name) will remove sap, gum, and tar based stains that would resist acetone. Conversely, acetone will remove things De-Solv-it won’t touch. Sometimes you need at 3-iron; sometimes you need a pitching wedge.

THE PLOT THICKENS

The final product I used was acetone—(CH3)2CO. As pointed out earlier, acetone is NOT the culprit in the removing of lens coatings, nor is it, despite the urban legends, a carcinogen! In fact, this simplest of ketones is organic and is produced in our own bodies.

Even so, there are some important cautions that should accompany its use.

1. Acetone will dry your hands quickly. Thus, you should apply skin cream or baby oil if you get as much as a teaspoon of it on your hands.

2. You should also use caution must around plastics, as it will melt some types, instantly. A former co-worker once dropped a touch of paint on my new HP printer. Thinking he would wipe it off before it had time to set, he used a rag doused in acetone. In less than three seconds, he had the tiny drop of black paint spread over the side of my new printer, with fibers from the dirty red cleaning rag imbedded in the plastic as well. Further cleaning was forever out of the question; I could only learn to appreciate the printer’s new artistic look.

3. Acetone was my most useful solvent. However, it evaporates very quickly, which can lead to other problems. Acetone is hygroscopic and will quickly draw moisture from the air. Special reagent acetone is not called for; the hardware store chemical will work fine.

To use on optical surfaces, however, it should be “dry”—moisture free. A cotton swab holding a drop of acetone, that would perform its job wonderfully, would be worse than useless should you wait even 15 seconds to use it. Why useless? Because, being hygroscopic, it would just move a sheen around, and you would grow old trying to clean the workpiece, and only succeed in making a bigger mess.

So, to use this godsend chemical, you should touch the swab to the acetone, flick off the excess, wipe the surface in swirling motions—starting at the center—and discard the swab by the 8th second—the 5th would be even better.

In referencing cotton swabs, I mean surgical swabs (~$10.00 per 1,000, 2014 price) with a wooden applicator. If you use a “Q-tip®,” with its soft plastic applicator, you will melt the plastic and make a mess on the workpiece. Urban legends notwithstanding, acetone is safe and efficient to use, as long as it’s mixed in equal portions with common sense.

Then there is ether, ethanol, propanol (isopropyl alcohol), colloidal, and on and on. I rarely address cleaning optics without someone piping up and intimating that I may not have the best solutions or techniques. That’s fair; I think most of them should get a life, go use their binoculars, and stop reinventing the wheel. No, I’m not set in my ways—yet. It’s just that I like to keep things simple and inexpensive.

Finally, those hoping never to run out of things to worry about should note that even distilled water will etch glass, and if they have a few thousand years to spare can prove this to themselves.

Photo, Illustration, or Comment Photo of Micro-Ripple on a GREAT mirror

THE TISSUE ISSUE

As a student at the Navy’s Opticalman “A” School, I had several cases of fresh lens tissue at my disposal.

Joining my shop aboard USS Grand Canyon, in Mayport, Florida, the first thing I noticed was the workbench and the rolls of toilet paper (White Cloud or Charmin) that sat in front of each toolbox. I had now joined the REAL world.

One thing concerning lens cleaning that I do find important relates to the type of lens tissue most often used.

Starting with its use in ophthalmic dispensing, many people believe you must have lent-free lens tissue to do a proper cleaning job. That’s not so. It may be lint-free, but it’s not very absorbent and, that lack of absorbency, may lead to a scratched optic. Something to worry about? No. Something to consider? Yes.

The lint-bearing tissue is thicker and softer. Therefore, you can often feel embedded particulars and remove the pressure before any damage is done. Of course, it will leave lint. Even so, the more adventuresome of observers, can return to the air bulb, a ¼-second shot of canned air or, heaven forbid, a puff of human breath. Technical? No. Efficient? Yes.

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have!

Heh....OK.
Kinda like drinking from a fire hydrant for the newcomer,
especially the making gallons of cleaner, as it were,
but lots of awesome practical advice can be gleaned from that!

Heh....OK.
Kinda like drinking from a fire hydrant for the newcomer,
especially the making gallons of cleaner, as it were,
but lots of awesome practical advice can be gleaned from that!

Thank you.

To answer your original question. I support the ORIGINAL formula Windex. That's why I mentioned the mixture. In dealing with any of the newer stuff, it's like my 1,3,5,4,2. It wouldn't bother me, but I don't want to get my tail in a crack by letting folks think I would use everything that comes in a bottle labeled Windex.

I admit, I was having a little fun with it, as I did with another chapter, section, vignette, or whatever. I just try to get folks to let their hair down, separate fact from wives’ tales, and infuse some common sense into the operation. Some folks treat cleaning lenses and prisms like brain surgery. They would live longer—and their optics would be cleaner—if they didn’t. There are plenty of things concerning binoculars to spend hours researching; cleaning glass is not one of them! :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Some poor guy comes by and says "how do I clean (the outside of) this?"
If a neighbor came by, I would wad up a cheap napkin, not fuzzy, give it a spritz
of generic Windex stuff, push it with a thumb into the eyecup, and give a twist.
Then, the dry part. Done. Or...repeat slowly, if it's really gooey.
You have always tossed in common sense as an ingredient though...as in, these things aren't super-delicate.
That's the big point.

At auction, I almost never get things anyone has touched...they don't even dare.
It's like they are looking at a bomb or something.
Others bung it all up sometimes, though. I get great telescope eyepieces then.

Some poor guy comes by and says "how do I clean (the outside of) this?"
If a neighbor came by, I would wad up a cheap napkin, not fuzzy, give it a spritz
of generic Windex stuff, push it with a thumb into the eyecup, and give a twist.
Then, the dry part. Done. Or...repeat slowly, if it's really gooey.
You have always tossed in common sense as an ingredient though...as in, these things aren't super-delicate.
That's the big point.

At auction, I almost never get things anyone has touched...they don't even dare.
It's like they are looking at a bomb or something.
Others bung it all up sometimes, though. I get great telescope eyepieces then.

Bino forums—at least all I have ever seen—are rife with complex solutions for NON-EXISTENT problems. They give folks much to say, but real problems are rarely solved. I am frequently taken to task by those who, thinking too fast, assume I want the chatter to stop. Nothing could be further from the truth. But have we not paused on some plateaus long enough?

It’s like the analogy I gave on opinions. A person may ask a rudimentary question that could be answered thoroughly with 3 of 4 sentences, and the respondent might give the complete answer and reference the volume and page number of Kingslake, Smith, Geary, Dilworth, and others, only to be ignored by the inquisitor because he hasn’t a clue as to who those people are. He wants the definite answer, but chooses, instead, to take as gospel the opinions of others, most of whom are not qualified to offer a definitive answer. And so many would be offended by the last comment; they should not be. I don’t know about surgery, aerospace engineering, piloting a tug, flying the space Shuttle, and a million other things. Some of us just try to help where we CAN. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
From the horse’s mouth:

"Care and maintenance
Your *top brand German binoculars* need no special maintenance. Use a soft lens brush or a blower to remove large particles of dirt, sand, etc. To remove fingerprints etc., first wipe the eyepiece and lens with a damp cloth, then dry them with a piece of clean, soft chamois leather or lint-free cloth. If the binoculars, particularly the rotating eyecups, are very dirty, simply rinse them under a running faucet. Always rinse off salt water. Moisture inside the central focusing unit (visible through the scale window) will dry quickest when the two rings (3/4) are locked.

"Alcohol and other chemical solutions must not be used.

"Attention!
Do not apply too much pressure when wiping strongly soiled lens surfaces. Even though the coating is very tough, sand and salt crystals can cause scratches.

I would add:

Once you’ve removed dust, let gravity help you out. Tip the optic on its side and clean the top half of the lens first, allowing any remaining particles you can‘t see to drop below the cloth. Flip over and repeat. Shake the cloth you're using frequently during the clean and wash it often enough to really keep it clean.

There’s a superb system available that applies a thin, even film of moisture to the lens surface, I use it a lot. Just breathe on the lenses!

Cheers,
Andy.

Last edited:
From the horse’s mouth:

"Care and maintenance
Your *top brand German binoculars* need no special maintenance. Use a soft lens brush or a blower to remove large particles of dirt, sand, etc. To remove fingerprints etc., first wipe the eyepiece and lens with a damp cloth, then dry them with a piece of clean, soft chamois leather or lint-free cloth. If the binoculars, particularly the rotating eyecups, are very dirty, simply rinse them under a running faucet. Always rinse off salt water. Moisture inside the central focusing unit (visible through the scale window) will dry quickest when the two rings (3/4) are locked.

"Alcohol and other chemical solutions must not be used.

"Attention!
Do not apply too much pressure when wiping strongly soiled lens surfaces. Even though the coating is very tough, sand and salt crystals can cause scratches.

I would add:

Once you’ve removed dust, let gravity help you out. Tip the optic on its side and clean the top half of the lens first, allowing any remaining particles you can‘t see to drop below the cloth. Flip over and repeat. Shake the cloth you're using frequently during the clean and wash it often enough to really keep it clean.

There’s a superb system available that applies a thin, even film of moisture to the lens surface, I use it a lot. Just breathe on the lenses!

Cheers,
Andy.

"Alcohol and other chemical solutions must not be used."

Too quickly perhaps, I scanned the thread to find out who said the above. But, I must say that those wanting to take that advice, Are discounting myself, Cory Suddarth, and the techs at Zeiss, Leica, Swarovski, and a hundred other companies who have made their living NOT following that advice for YEARS!

When you see a man at the top of a mountain, there's a good chance he didn't FALL there. :cat:

Bill (your friendly neighborhood curmudgeon)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back