• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Tries Again for Victory (1 Viewer)

I was just reading that story at Better View Desired and was going to send a message here and ask if anyone had heard about the new Victory's, and tried them out. Reading your comments about different binoculars is one of my favorite things in BirdForum.
That author at BVD,(what's his name, Steven something) puts them on the same level with the Nikon Venturers.

Isn't it a very personal thing with bins though. I couldn't get on with roof prisms when I tried them, so went to another pair of porro prisms (Nikon SE's). The last pair I had have lasted for 28 years (E.German Zeiss used in all weather) I just hope I get the same useage out of the new ones ;)
I think the porros give a better depth of field in my eyes, but not so good at looking at dragonflys though.
I would love to have a go with a pair of donkeys ears to see what the depth of field looks like. Has anyone tried a pair?

I've been wondering about replacing my old 10x40 BGAT* recently. I've had them for 21 years and they are, without doubt, my most treasured possession. We've been through hell and high water together (including leaving them on the roof of my car and driving off, where they subsequently fell off and bounced down the road behind me - not so much as a scratch!).
The Victories haven't even been on my shopping list. Swarovski ELs, were my leading contenders with the Leicas a close second. Now if the V2's really are as good as the article says then they'll be the one's for me (brand loyalty is something I believe in). Besides, and I know it's a vanity thing, I think the Swaro's look awful - especially in that green colour - and, not a good reason, Leica were always the "other brand" to me! Obviously, how they perform is going to be the decider, but if Zeiss are back up to speed then the V2's will be mine. Oh, yes, they WILL be mine....

Thanks. I mean it. I just LOVE reading what you guys have to say about the top-of-the-line bins. Especially since I know that I'll never have one of them.
marcus

Marcus,
Have you looked at 2nd users bins? providing they have clean optics, no fungus and are collamated they are a good way to get a good piece of equipment.
For the price and length of service you get out of bins they are pretty damn good value for money, and the fact you tend to pay less than us makes a new pair even more affordable.
Have you looked through any mentioned? if you haven't beg a look through some whenever you get a chance. Your'e eyes will love you for it ;)

Marcus: I would check out the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 binoculars. Porro prisms are much cheaper to make than roof prisms and hence offer better bang for the buck.

Someone was praising the Victory II binos on rec.birds, so I investigated.
The Victory II binos in the U.S. are just the same as the normal euro Victories, just with revamped strap lugs (original U.S. Victories had a poor strap mount).

I've tried the old and the new. Did anyone notice the solid plastic eyepiece bumpers on the new ones? This is a ring of raised plastic around each eyepiece. I was concerned that this would scratch the plastic lenses of my glasses. (Possibly this is a UK issue. Over the last decade or so our government have been encouraging opticians to favour plastic spectacle lenses. This is supposedly to reduce eye injuries in car crashes.)

I really like the shape and light weight of these bins but I doubt I could ever get used to that awful armour. It just doesn't have the quality feel expected from such a premium product.

So no change to the optics then Andy? I thought the main problems were with poor optics and a dreadful strap mounting.
Looks like the rubber isn't very good also. Is anyone using these? what are your thoughts?

O.K. Lets clear this up.
The changes to the Victory 8x40 & 10x40 binoculars are:
Strap holders were changed which makes them more user friendly to hold, (other peoples comments).
The Dioptre adjustment was improved. The rubber armouring is improved. Stray light was reduced to new levels, this is why the report in BVD suggested a change in optics.
Leif mentions the plastic around the eyepiece; Zeiss binoculars are manufactured with high eyepoint eyepieces, which makes them suitable for spectacle and non spectacle wearers, so it would be wrong to manufacture a binocular which could damage spectacles.
I admit to having an interest, but the fact is the Victory binoculars have a transmission of 90% +, which is higher than a number of competitors.
The Victory 10x40 BT* replaced the older 10x40 BGAT* Dialyt, because the Victory binocular uses a different prism system which in turn gives a higher transmission result.

Last edited:
The optics should be amongst the best and indeed BVD says they are. As I understand it the Victory are the same design as the 7x42 BGAT. I was astonished at how bright the image through the 7x42 BGAT was compared with other premium bins. First rate build quality too. To be honest anyone who doesn't wear glasses should take a serious look at these as they are such good value compared to the competition.

I'll let you know in the next week or so - I've been and gone and ordered a pair of 10x40Bs.........

Leif said:
Marcus: I would check out the Swift Audubon 8.5x44 binoculars. Porro prisms are much cheaper to make than roof prisms and hence offer better bang for the buck.
Leif, I have the new Porro prism Swift Audubon. I've had them for about 3 years now, and I'll admit that they are more than good enough considering the very low-class birding that I do.
I also have 2 roofs, the Swift Warbler, that is also clear and bright, and also a 10x36 Nikon Sporter, that I bought for myself last Christmas. Well, there not bad, but not as bright as my other two, and there not waterproof either, but since they are small enough to fit in a large pocket, I take them out with me the most .
I just like reading the comments that you fellows have about the top-class roofs. And those Zeiss VictoryII's are the newest type I've heard about.
You're the experts, right? I'll just tell myself that.
marcus

They arrived yesterday evening and my initial reaction was unprintable on a forum like this! After just a couple of hours in the field with them, I was completely blown away by the clarity, brightness etc etc.... And light? When I got the box in my hands, I was concerned that I'd been sent some 'compact binoculars' by mistake!
You've got to bear in mind that for the last 20 years or so, I've been using a pair of 10x40 BGAT* Dialyts, so these VIIs had a certain standard to live up to. I have also recently used Peteee23's Leica Trinovids, which, IMHO were no better than my Dialyts so I wasn't expecting the VIIs to be as markedly better than either of these two top of the range glasses. To say that I've been pleasantly surprised would be the understatement of the year. These things are amazing. Nor do they smell funny as mentioned in the review above......

The difference when you look AT them is on the strap mounts.
The VIIs have an Allen key type fitting (see photo on the article - the VIIs are on the left) and is fixed in position, the VIs have a larger fitting which, I think, swivels on it's mounting point.

Now, this is what I love. If I can't ever really look through on of those Victorys, at least I can read your messages about them.
Thanks very much!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back