• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 5x15 DCF Titanium (1 Viewer)

takitam

Hello guys
This is the binocular that I seem to be interested in lately, but it's not available where I live and I cant examine it personally 8-P

Although there are some opinions about it scattered around birdforum, I don't think I have ever read a review. I'd like to gather some information about this niche binocular in one thread and I ask everyone who has any information and opinions to share it here. Especially about how you like it in comparison to top 8x20 compacts, photos are welcome. Does the small AFOV make the view 'restricted' or in contrary, is it pleasant to use?

Hello guys
This is the binocular that I seem to be interested in lately, but it's not available where I live and I cant examine it personally 8-P

Although there are some opinions about it scattered around birdforum, I don't think I have ever read a review. I'd like to gather some information about this niche binocular in one thread and I ask everyone who has any information and opinions to share it here. Especially about how you like it in comparison to top 8x20 compacts, photos are welcome. Does the small AFOV make the view 'restricted' or in contrary, is it pleasant to use?

I own the 5x15 Titanium and the 6x5 Mikron reissue and enjoy them both.

The 5x15 delivers sharply focused images with very good color rendition and well controlled flare. The knob focuses quickly and they have a very short close focus which makes them useful for catching butterflies and other insects. They are also quite useful for birds that are not far away, concerts, operas, art galleries and the like. While the computed apparent field of view may seem narrow, 9 degrees of field is still 9 degrees of field and they deliver a satisfying view of the objects they were intended to be used on.

Comparing them to higher power binoculars like my wife's Swarovski 8x20 is dicey simply because the magnification is significantly different. Images are a lot bigger in the 8x20's but will have a reduced field of view.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask any questions.

I own the Nikon 5x15 Titanium and also the Zeiss 8x20B. The Zeiss has a larger apparent field of view, but I like the ergonomics of the Nikons better. They are single hinge instead of double and they have a large centrally located focusing knob that is just about perfect. The Zeiss have an unusual design with the focusing knob on the right hinge and the diopter on the left hinge. The focusing knob is tiny. I have large hands and the Nikons are more comfortable to hold. With the Zeiss, focusing left handed works better but is still awkward.

Optically, they are both superb. The Nikons are sharp almost to the edges. I really can't find anything to criticize about the view. I would definitely say that the optics are comparable to the alphas. They have fold down eyecups and the eye relief is a little bit long for my glasses with them down. I solved this by purchasing rubber o-rings at a hardware store. I put them on the outside of the eyecups and folded the eyecups down over them. That allows me to have the eyecups raised partially. The Zeiss has excellent optics as well. I find the Zeiss a little harder to hold steady. I have a harder time with compacts in general, possibly because my hands are too big.

I think you'll like the Nikons if you get a pair. They weight nothing. Mine didn't come with a neck strap so I bought one intended for compact cameras. The Titaniums have a single strap attachment point so you use the type of strap that has a thin loop at the end. It is nice that you can buy a replacement strap if you need to and have a choice of different designs, including wrist straps.

The apparent field of view is a bit narrow, but it doesn't bother me. If you switch directly from a wide FOV binocular to the Titanium's, the AFOV seems narrow. However, when you're using them, your mind focuses on the image, not the field stop, so the image seems larger. 5X doesn't sound like much, but a smaller, steadier image can actually show as much or more detail as higher magnification. They are great vacation binoculars, perfect for looking at scenery. They wouldn't be my first choice for birding, but then, no compact would be. I would probably choose them over the Zeiss for birding though, because they are so much quicker and easier to focus.

Nikon made a 7x15 Titanium also, but I don't believe it has enough eye relief for glasses.

Thank you for your input gentlemen. I would like to 'hear' more about your point of view on the magnification issue. Is the jump from 8x to 5x a really huge one? Can you see noticeably more details with 8x than with 5x and is the perceived difference similar for short and long distance viewing?

The difference in magnification is definitely noticeable. The difference between 5X and 8X is greater than the difference between 8X and 10X. What do you plan to use them for?

Honestly, I dont use my 8x20 very often, but when i use them its mostly for nature viewing in the forest, sometimes for observing more or less distant objects on the horizon. I'm thinking about exchanging my 8x20 for those 5x15 Nikons, and I look for some excuses. I like the idea of having something even smaller and more portable (although I'm not sure if the small nikons are really smaller with their single hinge compared to double hinged ones I have) and a bit bigger exit pupil.

The biggest difference I observed between 8x20 and 10x25 was that I couldnt enjoy the latter because of too much shake (more magnification and smaller field of view) and I actually saw less with them. Could you post some comparison photos of your Zeiss and Nikon, BinoBoy?

I have the 7x15 version and it is surprisingly sharp across the field. Also, given it's diminutive aperture, it is quite bright and provides contrasty neutral views. I did compare it once to an 8x25 Kowa and didn't find that there was too much between them except when the sun started to drop.

Andrew

Thank you for your input gentlemen. I would like to 'hear' more about your point of view on the magnification issue. Is the jump from 8x to 5x a really huge one? Can you see noticeably more details with 8x than with 5x and is the perceived difference similar for short and long distance viewing?

Hi, yes the jump from 5x to 8x is quite significant and will be especially noticable with closer objects. The true field of view can change dramatically and serves to emphasize why the AFOV taken by itself can be misleading. Using the Swarovski 8x20 as an example it has a 6.6 degree FOV while the Nikon Titanium has 9 degrees of field. You will notice more details with the 8x but the tradeoff will be a significant loss of field of view.

A 5x15 binocular with a 3mm exit pupil will deliver objects under some conditions that are somewhat brighter than an 8x20 binocular with a 2.5mm exit pupil assuming the optics are otherwise comparable.

Whether a 5x or an 8x is the best choice really depends on what you intend to use them for.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back