• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya Birds 04 Nightjars Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

MacNara

Japan
We saw two nightjars on a night drive in Sweetwaters. I wonder if they are identifiable. I think, given the season and location, only Dusky and Freckled are possible (maybe Plain).
The other three birds are flycatchers.

Photo 3: African Grey or Pale? (Samburu)
Photo 4: African Dusky? (Mount Kenya)
Photo 5: Identifiable? (Samburu)

Attachments

• 130501414 Kenya.jpg
    130501414 Kenya.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 39
  • 130501416 Kenya.jpg
    130501416 Kenya.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 130430059 Kenya.jpg
    130430059 Kenya.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 130428209 Kenya.jpg
    130428209 Kenya.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 130430085 Kenya.jpg
    130430085 Kenya.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 34
Thank you Tib.

Normally, I would be happy to abandon the nightjars, but these two, plus a striped hyena, were the only result of a night drive at Sweetwaters (i.e. the only things we saw that usually wouldn't be seen in daytime) which cost us US$90 each. So, it would be comforting to identify them.

I thought the second nightjar might be Dusky because of the deep brownish colour, and the general pattern.

I'm happy to let number 5 drop. Thanks.

Still Pale Flycat. IMO...

That's great, thanks.

Any idea on the second Nightjar? I simply feel that in that location at that time (May 1st) with that pattern (the undereye stripe is white, not beige, and the general colour is warm) Dusky is the only possibility. But I wouldn't have the confidence to decide that without some confirmation. (Eurasian should have left by the beginning of May, shouldn't it?)

I'm grateful for all the help from all those who replied. I'm just about ready to close down for the night. It's 3am.

Valery, since you are living near Kazinga, perhaps you can look at this one problem I have left over from Uganda at New Year four years ago.

I think the bird in these photos is immature Collared or Black-winged Pratincole. Do you know which I would have seen at Kazinga? Or is it something else?

Thanks again, anyway.

Attachments

• B-w Pratincole 1.jpg
    B-w Pratincole 1.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 23
  • B-w Pratincole 2.jpg
    B-w Pratincole 2.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 26
Collared is the "default" species, common while is usually seen during migration in short-staying, big flocks.

However, I'm not able to separate sitting immatures... I wonder if Tib has one if its magical features....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back