• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wood Sandpiper! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

A walk around Worcs W T Lower Smite Farm this morning was another butterfly extravaganza, the highlight for me was a Small copper, my first this year! Quiet with birds, highlights were a lone Swallow, Buzzard and a Sparrowhawk being mobbed by C Crows.

A Wood Sandpiper at Upton Warren this afternoon was a lifer for me! I was really chuffed to see it, along with several Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Curlew, Lapwing, Common Snipe, a lone Dunlin and loads of B H Gulls.
It was hot out there today! Phew!!

Attachments

• Gatekeeper [].JPG
    Gatekeeper [].JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Small copper. [].JPG
    Small copper. [].JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 20
  • P1280757 [].JPG
    P1280757 [].JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 24
Some nice photos there, Pam, and well done on your lifer. I've only ever seen one Wood Sandpiper and that was last year.

Congrats on the Wood Sandpiper Pam, a great bird to see. Good to see a Small Copper also. I had never seen one until this year.

Glad that you have had another butterfly extravaganza Pam. What a year this has been for butterflies! They have taken my mind of the birds or as for my patch lack of them.;)

I'm sure I saw Small Copper yesterday, but I was so intent on looking at the large numbers of Wall Brown I am now a bit unsure, so won't add it to my list until I go back and check things out next week.

Nice one with the Wood Sandpiper.

Hi Pam,

Congrats on the Wood Sand, not the easiest of the 'pipers to see.

Nice Swallow shot and well done too with the Small Copper, haven't seen one yet this year.

Bill

You seem to be doing really well for butterflies Pam: I must get out more. That was a pleasant day you had, with some nice birds seen. Thanks for sharing in words and pics.

Baz.

Oo! not the easiest of Birds to find well done Pam, a nice tick.
You're right, the increase in Butterfly's is amazing, I filled my flask, made a sarnie & went for a little drive a few days ago hoping to see something nice before dusk. A dog walker walked through the meadow & flushed dozens of Whites out of their sleep. It looked like a fairytale as they danced & circled.
Magic!
I love the Swallow pic Pam & well done with the small copper! :t:

Pam

I saw the Wood Sand on Saturday too (Lifer for me also). I have some very dodgy photos of it that I'll include in my next blog update.

Simon

Thanks everyone for your kind replies.:t:

I had seen the Wood Sandpiper had been reported present at Upton on the Saturday and hoped it would still be there on Sunday! I was lucky! Good to see the difference in plumage with Green and Common Sandpiper foraging alongside the Wood Sandpiper.

Hope you get your Small Copper Brian and Bill.
Wall Brown is one I have yet to see, Brian, they are in decline in my area from what I have read so you are lucky to have seen them in large numbers.

How lovely to see so many Whites dancing, Sue! There are a lot around this year! As you say 'magic'!

I shall look forward to reading your blog update, Simon! I didn't even try for a pic with the camera I am using at present. My daughter Emma managed a record shot of which you may have seen as she did a report on the 'Upton' thread. I will have a copy of it for my own 'Bird' records!

During my visit, Pam, the little blighter ventured no nearer that 5 yds from the far shore.
You could only tell the difference between it and the other Sandpipers by its silhouette!

During my visit, Pam, the little blighter ventured no nearer that 5 yds from the far shore.
You could only tell the difference between it and the other Sandpipers by its silhouette!

It ventured a little nearer for us, Simon, but still not near enough! The long white stripe from the bill over the eye was very clear to pick up on with this bird, especially when the sun shone! A juvenile we were told. Did you scope it, Simon?

No Pam, I just snapped it with the camera equipment as per my signature, into the sun!
And thanks for reminding me to edit my signature and remove all reference to digiscoping!

Last edited:
No Pam, I just snapped it with the camera equipment as per my signature, into the sun!
And thanks for reminding me to edit my signature and remove all reference to digiscoping!

Haha Simon! I'm not alone then? Been down the digiscoping road and concluded that it's not worth it. The gear can approach the same costs as dslr and tele lens, and the resulting pics are often very disapointing. Ok digiscoping does have a valuable place in it all, particularly as an ID aid.

Actually I meant did you view the W Sandpiper through a scope? o:D

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back