• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic FZ150 (1 Viewer)

Some of the images and reviews I've seen to date give the camera the thumbs up. It looks so good I've ordered one to replace my FZ100. I think the faster auto focus and the additional zoom/focus lever on the left hand side of the lens barrel, plus better image quality make this model a real winner. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Some of the images and reviews I've seen to date give the camera the thumbs up. It looks so good I've ordered one to replace my FZ100. I think the faster auto focus and the additional zoom/focus lever on the left hand side of the lens barrel, plus better image quality make this model a real winner. That's what I'm hoping anyway.

Hi Roger
I agree. I'm even tempted (having just bought the G3 and 100-300mm lens). I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.
Hobbes

As a fellow G3 owner I'm also tempted! I don't like changing lenses all the time so I am thinking that I will use the G3 for distance and the FZ150 for video and everything else. Although I'm waiting until the Canon SX40 is out before I decide.
Sean

Let us know about your impressions once you have used it for a while. I'm particularly interested in the video performance, as that is where my FZ35 still is not optimal. Same with reaction speed on single shots.

I don't think I need the FullHD feature, simply for storage reasons. Thus performance on the 720HD level would also be of interest. I hope the increased frame rate would improve the fast motion results like on wing beats and when an object has a high angle speed.

amateur photographer have reviewed this camera in next weeks edition.
to cut a long story short:
the verdict is 4 stars out of 5

stating it is a good model,with ease of use,impressive specification-especially in terms of the zoom range-and high level of user control.

however as is often the case with a superzoom camera,compromises in image quality are apparent by the noise levels and smudged detail.

......however as is often the case with a superzoom camera,compromises in image quality are apparent by the noise levels and smudged detail.

At this point, I'm just happy if there ARE improvements in IQ over previous versions. And most of all, if autofocus is faster and more reliable than previously. I can live quite well with the over all image quality of my FZ35, except in the long-zoom pictures. But that's where the small objective diameter sets the limit. So there may be not much that can be done about that, unless there could be some electronic enhancement.

Attachments

• 82FBF05A36A24AE5B5F4B5A31940644D.jpg
    82FBF05A36A24AE5B5F4B5A31940644D.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 547
Hey guys Im new to this forum. And I would like to say it is a very nice community you have here and the galleries of pics are awesome. Very cool!:t:

I got my Sony H20 stolen and really wasn't into nature shots (photography in general), just using it as a tool. But it all has changed and I want to get into taking good shots, mainly birds/nature. So Im in the hunt for my first good camera.

I started searching and found the FZ150K, I really like it. Seems like it's the top of the superzooms right now.
JPEG+RAW(To tweak) / 1080P 30&60fps / 24x zoom / manual controls /external mic / hot shoe

Im new to this photography stuff and trying to get the best shots but Im learning REAL fast. :)

Im torn between a entry level DSLR with a long range zoom lens or just to get the FZ150K for around $450 . Gonna be close to $1,000 USD for the DSLR setup as I would need the 300mm lens to get that zoom. I really just dont have the money to get the DSLR setup right now.

I read I think every review about the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K but If anyone here has any firsthand usage with one if they can post some pics or PM me , mabey you can tell me what you like/dislike ,how the shots look and what manual controls does it have ...ect.

Thanks,
DamianJP

Welcome to birdforum!

A couple of comments:
The superzoom is going to give you more reach than the dSLR (with a 300mm max lens). The DSLR has better low light performance and faster AF and overall the images are a little better, even though I see only a little difference in good light.

Don't forget that there is an in between solution as well, the mirror-less cameras, especially the m4/3 series. If you browse around here you will find quite a few threads on Pana GH2, G3, and the 100-300 lens for them.

Regarding superzoom: I have yet to see a superzoom where I would use RAW, they usually save too slowly for it to be viable.

Niels

Thank You njlarsen! :t:

I really like the all-in-one package with the FZ150K but I know sometimes the all-in-one suffers in features sometimes.

I gonna do some research about the G3.
Any other companies have that same in-between kind of camera that I should take a look at?

Still a hard decision for me but Ill start to do more research tonight.

For the Sony is the same option the Translucent series?
A35 or A55?

Nikon 1 system?

Seems no mirrorless for Canon right now.

Well Thanks again for giving me another option before I spend some $$$. I'd rather wait and do TONS of research rather than jump into something and wish I went another "route".

Thanks again,
DamianJP

Olympus makes cameras that match lenses with the panasonic ones.

Nikon one has a smaller sensor than the m4/3, and if I remember correctly not any in system long lens yet; you can adapt full size nikon lenses, but how the function of that really is will be unknown until real users get their hands on this system.

Pentax has a camera out quite similar to the nikon 1 I believe

Sony has something similar to the mirrorless and something with translucent mirrors, but quite honestly I don't know much about them.

Good luck in your quest!

Niels

For the Sony is the same option the Translucent series?
A35 or A55?

Those Sony's would be equivalent to an entry level DSLR--not a micro 4/3rds camera. They have the same size sensors as DSLRs, and also, like DSLRs, require larger lenses to get the same "reach". Micro 4/3rds camera (note these are different from 4/3rds cameras) are listed here: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/body.html

Best,
Jim

Im starting to think that the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K would be a better choice due to my budget right now.

$450 versus the $650+ and then $300 for a 300mm lens. I mean I guess I could just wait longer and save up money little by little and then drop around $1000 for a better camera + lens . But Im just getting into this Nature shooting and photography in general and I don't know if a initial investment in a camera and gear for that much would be wise. I don't know Im kind of bad with making decisions like this.

I definitively know one thing , I need to macro and to zoom, also need 1080 videos (preferably 60fps).

Thanks again,
DamianJP

$450 versus the $650+ and then $300 for a 300mm lens.

The 100-300mm Panny zoom lens for the G3 (which Niels mentioned and is what I'd recommend for that camera for bird photography) is currently $600 at B&H Photo. Don't think you can get it for $300. Might make your decision easier.

Jim

Last edited:
Damian,
that might be a good strategy, purchase a superzoom to see if you really like photos that much, and if you do you can always upgrade later. (for me personally, there also has to be travel money so I can go interesting places to use the equipment, it is not enough to just own it).

Niels

Yeah I think I'm going the super zoom route right now.

Is the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K the best of the Super's right now?

Thank you guys for helping me out! ;)

Anyone have the FZ150 yet?
If so what kinda of manual controls does it have?
And what are your pro's and con's about it?

Thanks,
DamianJP

Yeah I think I'm going the super zoom route right now.

Is the Panasonic DMC-FZ150K the best of the Super's right now?

Thank you guys for helping me out! ;)

Looking at the comparatives in post 9....I'm seeing the Sony as looking (sharper) and more contrasty than the Panasonic...whats the consensus on that?

ps..I have the Sony :t:

cheers

Hi Damian, While I can't give you a first hand view of the FZ150 (its on order), I have the FZ100 and while its a very good camera, the reasons I decided to upgrade to the FZ150 were as follows. First of all, it has the new "light speed" autofocus, which is also used on the g3 and is claimed to be as fast, if not faster than the autofocus speeds on DSLR cameras. Secondly, it has a second zoom/focus control, which makes it more versatile. This will be very useful if you are trying to shoot a bird flying towards you and you need to zoom out and refocus at the same time. The new manual focus arrangement is a huge improvement on the current manual focus arrangement on the FZ100. So those two features alone make it a better camera than the already good FZ100. On top of that, it has better image quality and slightly faster burst shooting modes. The FZ100/150 have the fastest burst shooting in the super zoom area and are faster than just about all the DSLRs as well. I shoot a lot of birds and use the 40fps burst mode frequently. None of the other cameras offer that feature. If you use the 5.5fps burst mode it will auto focus between shots, none of the other superzooms offer that feature either. I think that for bird photography, this is one of the best. The only other camera I would consider (personal choice here) is the Panasonic G3, which also has the light speed auto focus, but slower burst rates, although it does have a 20 fps burst mode. It will also give better images, especially in low light, but if you add the 100-300 lens (which you would need) then it is also a lot more expensive. I think that starting off with the FZ150 is a good idea, as its easy to carry around and very versatile. You can always upgrade to a bigger camera later, in the mean time you will be able to get some excellent pics, especially in good light.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back