• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Longyearbyen, Svalbard advice (1 Viewer)

Dr_ADH

Hello
I am heading to Longyearbyen on July 18 to join a cruise around the island the next day. I have the best part of a day there. Could anyone advise as to what might be a good walk to do, perhaps to see Ptarmigan and other interesting birds that I may not get the chance to see on the cruise, or perhaps to get better views? Also of course of mammals if this might apply.
thanks very much
Adam

It's been a few years since I was there, and my trip was 3 1/2 weeks earlier than yours. You've got to be somewhat careful everywhere on Svalbard in that Polar Bears might occur, and I don't know how close to the town the might come in summer. Svalbard doesn't have a lot of potential mammals, and most of those that occur are marine ones.

The dog kennels are a known spot for Ivory Gull (but check whether this is outdated now) - not a mammal, but a bird you might not see elsewhere. Reindeer were seen close to town as well. If you stop at Ny Alesund that had breeding Arctic Fox (and there are lots of pictures taken there), or otherwise, any breeding bird colony. I didn't see any close to Longyearbyen, but you probably need a local to tell you about whether that's a possibility.

I can't see what other mammal you might reasonably expect.

Andrea

Because of the possible danger of meeting a Polar Bear you are restricted to the environs of Longyearbyen.There are two areas worth looking at if you have the time.The first is the area between the airport and the fjiord which is to the west of the town itself.Secondly if you walk out the road that goes up the fjiord to the east there are some very nice areas of marsh which have breeding waders including Grey Phalarope,and you can get as far as the Husky kennels before you meet a sign telling you to go no further without an armed guard.Sadly Ivory Gull seems to have deserted this group of Huskies-the Gulls feed on the seal meat used for the dogs-but you should get this at the Husky pen when you stop at Ny Alyesund on the cruise.Keep an eye out for Sabine's Gull.I think there is still a small breeeing colony on the opposite side of the fjiord to Longyearbyen.You should also find some time to have a quick look at the museum attached to the university buildings.Have a great trip.
Tom Lawson.

Hello
I am heading to Longyearbyen on July 18 to join a cruise around the island the next day. I have the best part of a day there. Could anyone advise as to what might be a good walk to do, perhaps to see Ptarmigan and other interesting birds that I may not get the chance to see on the cruise, or perhaps to get better views? Also of course of mammals if this might apply.
thanks very much
Adam

Hello
thanks very much
Adam

I worked a summer on Svalbard and have to repeat the given warnings: be very, very careful and don't leave the town area! Tourists have been killed just outside Longyearbyen by stray Polar Bears!
You might see Ptarmigan on the cruise, they are sometimes seen very close to the shore. I also recommend the area between the airport (well, it's more an airfield) and the town. There is a camping site close to the airport where you can sometimes see Ivory Gull. Reindeer are sometimes walking right through town. All other mammals (apart from Arctic Fox) are seals, walrus and whales. Check the fjord for Belugas, we have seen them very close to Longyearbyen.

Enjoy your trip!

André

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back