• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dago falls, Bandung (1 Viewer)

forthbirder

Been in Bandung for a month now and finally got a chance to get away from the city and into some nature today.
The good news, Bandung, (Java) has a huge population of swifts, which can be seen at all times and in all areas. House sparrows extremely common too. Bats of at least half a dozen species can be easily seen in good numbers every night from about 5.30 - 6.30.
The bad news. The caged bird trade is still thriving here which means that species such a warblers, finches, starlings, (and everything else that can be trapped) is far more likely to be seen in a cage by the side of the road rather than in its natural habitat.
I went for a walk to Dago falls, a remnant forest patch with river in the city today. The only bird I saw was a forest kingfisher and the ubiquitous swifts. I did see a yellow snake about four feet long, many big lizards, and the best selection of butterflies and dragonflies I have ever seen.
Mark

I know that feeling to see many birds in cage. The Cave Swiflet is the most common bird in Java, as they can't be trapped (or have no any interesting aspect to be trapped). I think the sparrow isn't House Sparrow, we didn't have that bird in Indonesia except some feral birds at far east new guinea, i'm sure it's Eurasian Tree Sparrow :)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back