• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thursley this weekend? (1 Viewer)

Heathy

Morning

I am hoping to visit Thursley this weekend and just wanted to know what dragonflies are currently being seen there at the moment. Can't see much information as to whats 'actually' being seen at the moment there. I was hoping for:

Golden ringed Dragonfly
Black Darter
Small Red Damselfly
Brilliant Emerald/ Downy

Anyone been lately that can share what is likely to be seen this weekend?

thanks in advance

Marc

Golden-ringed are out in the New Forest so should be at Thursley. Usually the best place for them is as follows:

From the Moat car park take the left-hand track until you reach a substantial ditch that crosses it (maybe 300-400 yards. Search the ditch in both directions and keep an eye on surrounding habitat.

I haven't see Black Darter there up to a week ago.

Brilliant Emeralds have been showing well at the Moat.

Small Reds in profusion.

Also the usual Black-tailed Skimmers, Emperors, Brown Hawkers etc.

John

Downy Emeralds along the edge of the Moat Pond last Sunday - edge closest to the road; best to crash through the willows on this edge (wear wellies); they will come very close to inspect but tend to go go up high into the trees to perch; may be better earlier (eg 8am?)

No sign of Brilliant Emerald on Sunday.

cheers, alan

I saw all your desired species last Sunday. Couple of Downys on the Moat Pond, 1 Briliant Emerald + 2 Golden-ringed Dragonflies along the ditch John mentions. Small Reds were fairly widespread + there were plenty of immature Black Darters + also a small number of mature specimens + saw 2 pairs in tandem ovipositing. Plenty of Keeled Skimmers.

Many thanks for the replies. I am certainly looking forward to the visit now knowing they are all flying. The sun is forecast to shine all day which is good but secretly I want to see the Golden ringed Dragonfly the most. I just hope it happens!

thanks again

Marc

Many thanks for the replies. I am certainly looking forward to the visit now knowing they are all flying. The sun is forecast to shine all day which is good but secretly I want to see the Golden ringed Dragonfly the most. I just hope it happens!

thanks again

Marc

If you don't get your Golden-ring there, the New Forest is a good place for them. Latchmore Brook has plenty.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back