• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cheshire birding (1 Viewer)

Alcina

Melkorendil
Took a trip over to Moore NR in Cheshire this morning. Within 15 minutes of arrival, had excellent views of a male lesser spotted woodpecker in the trees by the car park. Result! I haven't seen one of these properly for at least 15 years.

Plenty of other birds to look at; greater spotteds, a flock of redwings, redpolls and goldfinches, a beautiful nuthatch which I watched for some time, several song thrushes and a jay flying across the path.

I then headed over to Burton Mere RSPB, as I had never visited the site from the all-new, RSPB robin-stroker end. Predictably for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birders (and encouragement of random tourists), they have built a brand new hide where only about 40 per cent of the windows actually open. Should be interesting and result in a few frayed tempers if they ever get a rarity! Also, in keeping with recent RSPB policy, it's not a Hide but a Visible.

The resident water rail was showing very closely from the visitors' centre. Only other bird of note was a med gull with the black-headeds and commons from the viewing screen. Oh, and a random kestrel. There were a fair few blackwits too.

I then headed over to Burton Mere RSPB, as I had never visited the site from the all-new, RSPB robin-stroker end. Predictably for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Birders (and encouragement of random tourists), they have built a brand new hide where only about 40 per cent of the windows actually open. Should be interesting and result in a few frayed tempers if they ever get a rarity! Also, in keeping with recent RSPB policy, it's not a Hide but a Visible.

The hides and Visitor Centre at BMW have been the subject of much debate in recent months on the Cheshire thread.

CB

Yep, nuthatches are beautiful! I really envy your seeing the lesser spot - haven't seen one for years now and they're gorgeous. Yesterday I heard my first bittern boom (seen and not heard before), while over the last couple of days redpolls have begun to appear on our feeders for the first time in a couple of years. Our regular greater spot along with treecreeper and a flock of siskins made for a lively garden party this morning.

Took a trip over to Moore NR in Cheshire this morning. Within 15 minutes of arrival, had excellent views of a male lesser spotted woodpecker in the trees by the car park. Result! I haven't seen one of these properly for at least 15 years.

Plenty of other birds to look at; greater spotteds, a flock of redwings, redpolls and goldfinches, a beautiful nuthatch which I watched for some time, several song thrushes and a jay flying across the path.

The resident water rail was showing very closely from the visitors' centre. Only other bird of note was a med gull with the black-headeds and commons from the viewing screen. Oh, and a random kestrel. There were a fair few blackwits too.

This is a top post:t:

Has a new hide been built at BMW?

Depends on how recently you were there I guess.

The new visitor centre opened in Nov 2011. I hadn't been there until the beginning of 2012, so that and the main hide 200-300 metres to the right were new to me. There is another hide on the right, that's not currently accessible from the visitor centre but from Inner Marsh Farm (I think). Since then another hide/viewing point has been added 100 metres to the left of the visitor centre. That's only been there since the back end of last year.

I guess the RSPB are in the business of trying to make bird watching more accessible, which on busy days is at odds with the quiet and peaceful enjoyment of viewing shy and rare species. Difficult balance to strike I guess. As soon as something becomes popular it kind of screws it up for those that enjoyed it when it was more esoteric.

Last edited:
We went to Burton Marsh for the first time a few weeks ago, walked into the reception or is it a hide and was met with a wall of noise, got to be honest it was ridiculous. The voices above all the others was from the RSPB people. A group of young teens came in and they were a credit. After a while we'd had enough and moved on to the hide to the left. Our luck changed and we were treated to magnificent views of a Kestrel. Went back to the reception/hide and the noise seemed louder. Kept going to the carpark and away.

They did see Osprey there on the Easter weekend (Good Friday), and I've read that there have been Avocet there this week. So it's still worth going from time to time, but it is quite noisy on the weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back