• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (33 Viewers)

West Midland Bird Club members

Members of the West Midland Bird Club may have noticed in the recent bulletin from the Club that the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust have permitted Club members free access to the Moors Pool for the next five year in recognition of the WMBC's contribution to the soon-to-be erected information panel in the new Bittern Hide (to be renamed the Joyce and Arthur Hide this forthcoming spring in recognition of the input by the Jacobs into the reserve over the years).

Please note that this arrangement purely relates to the Moors Pool and Club members will be required to buy the full £3 day permit to visit the Flashes. Also the arrangements only relate to WMBC members who are able to produce their membership cards; lack of a valid card will also result in a £3 day permit being required to visit the Moors. Hopefully Club members will enjoy the reserve so much that they will also wish to join the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust.

Last edited:
Flashes noon today

Water level 0.65. Paths passable despite some puddles and mud

55 teal 14 snipe 2 coot pr mute swan 1 kestrel 2 buzzard

Feeding station

5 reed bunting 3 bullfinch 1 gs woodpecker

Members of the West Midland Bird Club may have noticed in the recent bulletin from the Club that the Worcestershire Wildlife Trust have permitted Club members free access to the Moors Pool for the next five year in recognition of the WMBC's contribution to the soon-to-be erected information panel in the new Bittern Hide (to be renamed the Joyce and Arthur Hide this forthcoming spring in recognition of the input by the Jacobs into the reserve over the years).

QUOTE]

FIVE YEARS!!!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing the 50" plasma, interactive, WiFi enabled, touchscreen info board!!!!!
FIVE PIGGING YEARS!!!!!
Where are we going to park? Will there be a waiting list for the hides?
I take it this is a reciprocal arrangement where we can visit their hides?
FIVE YEARS FREE!!!!!
:C:C:C:C:C:C:C

Birding at Moors Today.

Arrived at about 9am.
The water was high at 0.88 on the Amy's depth marker(up from 0.81 Tuesday - that's 7cm) although less than I would have expected.
Rob E texted me with the news of a pair of Mandarin duck, so after photographing a pretty soggy buzzard by the east gate, I got the lead out for another year tick. These were the first I've seen for 3 years or more and after a short time, they simply vanished.
What remained of 'snipe island' in Amy's was rammed, with would you believe ...snipe8-P, with most of the 59 counted in Amy's marsh on there.
Generally birds were busy feeding, singing, or just flying over.
It was also good to see a pair of wigeon and yet another slight increase in pochard. Shoveler and teal were all a bit flighty for some reason but the snipe never budged. A good number of redpoll had gathered on the 'lifestyles' niger seed feeders and plenty of other passerines were about.
A walk around the North Moors revealed a few more species for the day list, (with a friendly competition going on with 'spoonbill finder' - see his report later:smoke:) such as song thrush, treecreeper and goldcrest. Also seen were a few chaffinch, 2 water rail calling, tit flock, reed bunting and common garden birds.
From here I went to the 'Jacob's hide, where the feeding station was alive with good numbers of Bullfinch (7), reed bunting (10), greenfinch (15), all the tits including 10 on the fat feeder. But most importantly the cetti's trilled from the sluice basin.
Back to the east hide to catch the jack snipe that had appeared amongst the snipe. Also a water rail fed to the left of the hide on the track. Gazza then phoned to say that the drake mandarin had just appeared in front of the concrete hide, I got on it just as it flew to the 'lagoon'.
species count at Moors
GCG 3, cormorant c30 greylag 23, wigeon pr, shoveler 5 (2 males), teal 34, mallard 100+, manadarin pr, pochard 30, tufted 31 (min), snipe 59, jack snipe, curlew 8, lapwing 65, BHG c100, Herring gull c10, LBBG 20, buzzard 2, kestrel, coot 250+, water rail c10, collared dove, kingfisher, great spotted woodp, treecreeper, fieldfare 5, redwing 10, song thrush, CETTI'S Warbler, goldcrest, goldfinch 10, redpoll 15,

Flashes and sailing pool later
B :)John
also a good bunch of lads around today including, Rob E, Bob O, Vern, Trace, Andy P, Glenn, Mick, Phil W, Gert , Gazza, Bill. Has Friday become the new Saturday. Perhaps we can get a Monday crew together, as I will be going on Monday's soon, what do you reckon Vern.:smoke:

Last edited:

QUOTE]

FIVE YEARS!!!!!
I'm looking forward to seeing the 50" plasma, interactive, WiFi enabled, touchscreen info board!!!!!
FIVE PIGGING YEARS!!!!!
FIVE YEARS FREE!!!!!

Hi Bob - I would recommend that you direct your comments to Colin Raven, Director of the Trust:

Email: [email protected]
Tel: (01905) 754919
Address: Lower Smite Farm, Smite Hill, Hindlip, Worcs WR3 8SZ

Last edited:

QUOTE]

FIVE YEARS!!!!!
FIVE PIGGING YEARS!!!!!
FIVE YEARS FREE!!!!!
its not the 1st of April is it? 5 bloody years for an info board this is a joke right?

Birding at the Flashes and Sailing pool Today

Checking the overflow ditch at the Hen pool I came across a flock of Siskin, which later flew into the alders next to the main bridge.
The feeding station was largely flooded but a few chaffinch and tits fed there. However two squirrels were siphoning out the seeds from the feeders. The water was high as Gazza has already alluded to and thus bird activity was low.
A dry clump of land on the southern edge of the 2nd Flash held 15 snipe with another one close by. The teal and mallard mostly fed on the flooded out grassland. A few more species were added to the day list.
Species count at Flashes:
Teal 37, Mallard 12, snipe 16, lapwing, LBBG , BHG 2, coot 2 poss 3 (rare at this time of year), moorhen 8, peregrine on the masts, kestrel, stock dove only 1 (this species is almost a summer migrant at the Flashes). jay, siskin 17, linnet 6, grey wagtail. Fieldfare 20, redwing 25.
Sailing pool - GCG 5, greylag 23, sparrowhawk chased unseen prey, shortly afterwards we saw 2 agitated kingfishers sat on the pontoon below the centre's galley.

Today I saw 61 species and I know Andy had at least 2 I didn't see.B :)John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back