• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tampa, FL ID Help (1 Viewer)

JohnFla

Hi there,

I'm going through some photographs trying to get definite ID's on some birds for my list.

1) 08/13/2016 St Petersburg, FL at a large lake. (Royal Tern?)
2) 05/12/2017 Tampa, FL, my backyard. It took out one of my doves :( (Cooper's Hawk?)
3) 05/12/2017 Tampa, FL, my backyard. Are these four House Finches? (also, the red one seemed to be feeding the one on the right, is that a juvenile?)
4 & 5) May 2017, Tampa, FL, my backyard. This owl appears at my bird bath every so often, late at night. It will sit on the edge, then sit in the middle and eventually take a quick bath. Sorry for the terrible images. I'm trying to handhold at 600mm for half a second or more. It's small, so I was thinking Eastern Screech Owl but I've only seen Barred Owls/Great Horned Owls around (not my neighborhood) Tampa.

Thanks for your help as always!
Thanks,
John

Attachments

• DSC_4177.JPG
    DSC_4177.JPG
    865.2 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_7500.JPG
    DSC_7500.JPG
    916.7 KB · Views: 34
  • DSC_7472.JPG
    DSC_7472.JPG
    701.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC_7064.JPG
    DSC_7064.JPG
    969.1 KB · Views: 39
  • DSC_8019.JPG
    DSC_8019.JPG
    979.6 KB · Views: 40
Don't know about the owl. Agree with your other IDs. The finch to the left of the male is also a juvenile (note the swollen flanges at the base of the bill).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back