• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barnes on nightingales (1 Viewer)

Now she's shown me where to find this column online I thought I'd beat Joanne to the punch with todays simon barnes times column.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/simon_barnes/article1811264.ece

Yep, you beat me to it Isurus! Another good one and special to me as I'm lucky enough to live in one of those parts of the world where nightingale song is pretty frequent this time of year! I've lost count how many I've heard so far this year but it must be in double figures.

Joanne

Thanks for the link Isurus (you too almost ;) Joanne!)

That made wonderful reading and oooooh I wish I was there. Still, the Dawn Chorus here just lately has been blissful. I'm positive that the Dawn Chorus is the best sound you could ever wish to hear, amazing. We have Nightingales fairly close (20 miles) but not close enough to go to that often, but when we do....!

Thanks to you both.

Sue.

Another lovely piece of prose from Simon Barnes. We recently went on a Dawn Chorus (my first) at the Cotswold Water Park where, along with the wakening sounds of song thrush, blackbird, chaffinch, cetti's warbler, wood, reed and garden warbler, we were lucky enough to hear -and see - 8 nightingales singing their hearts out within just a few feet of us. They were joined by the magical sound of 2 male cuckoos, hooting from a nearby wood. The volume of sound was amazing....a truly magical experience.....once we had got used to being up and out of the house by 3.50am!!
Thank you for quoting the piece from "The Times"; Simon Barnes' use of vocabulary is always so easy on the eye and the imagination to read....very enjoyable!

PS If you are thinking of visiting the CWP, Lakes 46/48 are the place to be. Park at Neigh Bridge and walk up the road opposite until you see the sign, "Swillbrook Lakes" on the LHS. You should hear -and see- the nightingales almost immediately.

PS If you are thinking of visiting the CWP, Lakes 46/48 are the place to be. Park at Neigh Bridge and walk up the road opposite until you see the sign, "Swillbrook Lakes" on the LHS. You should hear -and see- the nightingales almost immediately.

Pulborough Brooks, RSPB in West Sussex is also v good at the moment. Heard 3 and saw one, even got these pictures. Notice how his throat puffs out when he's singing!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_4155a resized.jpg
    IMG_4155a resized.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4165a resized.jpg
    IMG_4165a resized.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
good photos Joanne can't wait for my first experience with nightingales. living in the north I have to go to special places to see or hear them.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back