• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biking Birder 2015 - A cycle ride to every RSPB and WWT reserve. (1 Viewer)

Thanks for this posting/comment Dan. I really appreciate it and will try to live up to it. As for you being a Green Birder, can you post what you do achieve on any of the following please?

bubo - your list (Year list 2016 BOU)
Facebook - World Green Birding group page.
Surfbirds - UK Green/non-motorised Year list 2016

Thanks Dan :t:

As for you Phil, thanks for everything. You're the one that is going to ensure I do break the record this year. :king:

http://bikingbirder2016.blogspot.co.uk/

Thanks for this posting/comment Dan. I really appreciate it and will try to live up to it. As for you being a Green Birder, can you post what you do achieve on any of the following please?

bubo - your list (Year list 2016 BOU)
Facebook - World Green Birding group page.
Surfbirds - UK Green/non-motorised Year list 2016

Thanks Dan :t:

As for you Phil, thanks for everything. You're the one that is going to ensure I do break the record this year. :king:

http://bikingbirder2016.blogspot.co.uk/

On Bubo (currently down in 218th place, but hey), don't currently do Facebook but will look at the Surfbirds (planning on hitching/public transport too but can disentangle/remove them as needs be).

Cheers ...

After a quiet couple of days cycling across Cornwall and Devon back to the Exe, normal service was resumed today for Gary with the addition of Bar-tailed Godwit (#145) at Dawlish Warren and Short-eared Owl (#146) at Exminster Marshes. The Bonaparte's Gull remains frustratingly missing again though :-C

Another day searching for the Bonaparte's Gull off Exmouth drew a blank. January closed on 146 species, 17 ahead of last year at the same point.

Tomorrow will see Gary head eastwards to Seaton to try for the Green-winged Teal then onwards through Dorset to Hampshire and the New Forest. The plan currently is late in the month to head Norfolk for a week or two before heading further north to York where Gary has a conference to attend over the first weekend of April.

Potential additions in February include Hen Harrier, Long-tailed Duck, Ring-necked Duck, Green-winged Teal, Common Scoter, Black-necked Grebe, Bittern, Yellow-legged Gull, Caspian Gull, Long-billed Dowitcher, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker, Barn Owl, Little Owl, Water Pipit, Penduline Tit, Great Grey Shrike, Dartford Water, Hawfinch, Yellowhammer, Crossbill, Corn Bunting

February kicked off with a drake Green-winged Teal (#147) at Black Hole Marsh at Seaton. Tomorrow on to Weymouth with hopefully Long-tailed Duck added at Abbotsbury.

Gary missed the Long-tailed Ducks at Abbotsbury but I am sure there will be plenty of other opportunities during the course of the year. Now in the Isle of Purbeck having added Dartford Warbler (#148) and Barn Owl (#149).

A hit and miss day for Gary with Black-necked Grebe added at Studland (#150) but Great Grey Shrike dipped in Wareham Forest. Tomorrow is Blashford Lakes in the storm.

A very productive day for Gary around the Blashford Lakes complex, adding four species to propel him to 154 - Ferruginous Duck, Yellow-legged Gull, Egyptian Goose and Caspian Gull.

Bird #155 for the year was a Great Grey Shrike at Pig Bush in the New Forest. Given the weather forecast for tomorrow I can't see Gary getting out and about on the bike.

After a day off yesterday due to Storm Imogen, Gary had a productive day in undisclosed locations in the New Forest adding some specialities, including a couple that might have proved tricky - Crossbill, Hawfinch and Goshawk - to increase the year list to 158.

Another good day for Gary with Lesser Spotted Woodpecker (#159) added in the New Forest and then Long-tailed Duck (#160) off Keyhaven. Unfortunately he couldn't get over to Pennington in time for the Dowitcher before the light went

Good to meet Gary at Ibsley Water on Sunday and glad a Caspian Gull made a late appearance. It was good to compare carbon foootprints - I suggested i might need a (new) forest to offset mine!

cheers, alan

Good to meet Gary at Ibsley Water on Sunday and glad a Caspian Gull made a late appearance. It was good to compare carbon foootprints - I suggested i might need a (new) forest to offset mine!

cheers, alan

I think a reference to your Baer's Pochard twitch made it into his blog.

Tomorrow will be spent trying for the Dowitcher again before taking the ferry over to the Isle of Wight in the hope the Greater Yellowlegs is still around.

Today saw Gary add the sort of rarity required to get a year list of 300 in the form of the Greater Yellowlegs (#163) on the River Medina on the Isle of Wight.

Tomorrow will be spent camped out at Titchfield Haven in the hope that the Penduline Tits will put in a position.

Last edited:
Yesterday drew a blank at Titchfield Haven in the search for the Penduline Tits.

Today started with another blank being drawn, this time for Water Pipit along the canal at Titchfield. Then a quick dash towards Lymington for the reported Bluetail, doubling back on the reappearance of the Penduline Tits which were successfully seen (#164).

Hampshire has therefore delivered the three headline birds (Yellowlegs, Dowitcher and Penduline Tits) plus a host of very handy woodland birds. It is rather telling of the British countryside that the 164 species seen to date by Gary excludes Little Owl, Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting and Grey Partridge.

It is rather telling of the British countryside that the 164 species seen to date by Gary excludes Little Owl, Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting and Grey Partridge.

I'm surprised he hasn't got Little Owl yet but plenty of time....

Little Owls and Yellowhammers we still have around the Farnborough area (loosely that is) but the other two, no chance.

For Grey Partridge next stop must be The Burgh which should also produce Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer. If its not on the schedule yet, stick it on at once.

John

I'm surprised he hasn't got Little Owl yet but plenty of time....

Little Owls and Yellowhammers we still have around the Farnborough area (loosely that is) but the other two, no chance.

For Grey Partridge next stop must be The Burgh which should also produce Corn Bunting and Yellowhammer. If its not on the schedule yet, stick it on at once.

John

Farnborough John! I am now in Alton and heading for Farnborough. 07988754090 :t:

Yesterday drew a blank at Titchfield Haven in the search for the Penduline Tits.

Today started with another blank being drawn, this time for Water Pipit along the canal at Titchfield. Then a quick dash towards Lymington for the reported Bluetail, doubling back on the reappearance of the Penduline Tits which were successfully seen (#164).

Hampshire has therefore delivered the three headline birds (Yellowlegs, Dowitcher and Penduline Tits) plus a host of very handy woodland birds. It is rather telling of the British countryside that the 164 species seen to date by Gary excludes Little Owl, Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting and Grey Partridge.

It is so sad to cycle day after day and see so few birds along the way. Nature reserves are oases amongst an agricultural desert. Today's cycling the side roads highlights were occasional groups of red-kegged partridges, a fly over red kite, two (!) mistle thrushes with three redwings and a flock of around 30 stock doves. Otherwise zilch. Boxed hedgerows and vacuum cleaned wheat fields. No birds.:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back