• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bay of Biscay (1 Viewer)

Offman

Morning All,
its a new member.
I'm currently on board a stationary vessel in position ;
46-35.6 N, 005-25.4 W testing equipment down to 3000 metres

Been out here a few days now, and the list so far is
Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Chaffinch, Pied/White Wagtail, Hobby (f), Chiff Chaff, Common Redstart, Short-eared Owl, Skylark, Redwing, RB Flycatcher and Brambling.

Been a few dead on deck sadly.

This morning, whilst still dark we had around 3-400 birds, mostly Wagtails and Skylarks circling the vessel, were lit up like a Xmas tree, and as soon as the sun started to show, they re-commenced their journey.
Some do remain on board, and we do our best to feed them, fruit and biscuits, but they have other things on their mind I reckon.

More tomorrow
Offman

Morning All,
its a new member.
I'm currently on board a stationary vessel in position ;
46-35.6 N, 005-25.4 W testing equipment down to 3000 metres

Been out here a few days now, and the list so far is
Blackbird, Robin, Wren, Chaffinch, Pied/White Wagtail, Hobby (f), Chiff Chaff, Common Redstart, Short-eared Owl, Skylark, Redwing, RB Flycatcher and Brambling.

Been a few dead on deck sadly.

This morning, whilst still dark we had around 3-400 birds, mostly Wagtails and Skylarks circling the vessel, were lit up like a Xmas tree, and as soon as the sun started to show, they re-commenced their journey.
Some do remain on board, and we do our best to feed them, fruit and biscuits, but they have other things on their mind I reckon.

More tomorrow
Offman

Just found this thread, am very interested in the "lighting" returns.
Do you ever have a "lights out" evening...and if so, does that reduce the birds?
Also is there a material difference to numbers if there is a cloud base overnight?

Am looking forward to your posts. :t:

Cheers

Morning All,
All quiet this morning, the weather is starting to turn nasty, certainly no flocks of migrants circling us this am.

Had more new sightings yesterday afternoon in addition to the Firecrest. Managed to see a Blackcap, Starling and a Stock Dove.

Will have to wait till the light is up to see if anything else has sneaked on board.

I reply to KenM, when were operational, every deck light we have is on, and this would be when we are stationary, when underway, we would just have the normal running lights on (port, starboard and a mast head light)
Having worked a lot in the North Sea, its a usual phenomenon to see migrants hanging around rigs and vessels at night during Spring, and especially in Autumn, but its very weather dependant.
Have you had a look at the North Sea Bird Clubs pages?

More after sun up
Cheerz

Welcome, Offman!

What an interesting thread, and I shall enjoy keeping up with your sightings.

Morning,
Latest additions to the list yesterday was a single Snipe (sp) circling the vessel, and an exhausted Barred Warbler.
Remaining on board we have a couple of female Chaffinches that appear to have finally latched onto soggy biscuits!
With the wind now firmly out of the South and West its gone very quiet, but I'll be out on patrol later to see what I can find.

As for Google maps, try 46.59, -5.42 and that is where we are.

Cheerz

I feel exactly like others - Very interesting thread. :t:

What about sea birds? Next year you must join our Garden Bird -thread. or do you move a lot?

As far as the seabirds go,
Been here since the 18 October;
Gannet, Lesser BBG, Great BBG, and surprisingly a juv Black-headed Gull
Cheerz

As far as the seabirds go,
Been here since the 18 October;
Gannet, Lesser BBG, Great BBG, and surprisingly a juv Black-headed Gull
Cheerz

More land bird species than sea birds so far...fascinating stuff!

Cheers...Keep 'em coming.

I went across Biscay on a 39 foot yacht last year. We had a short-eared owl go by more or less mid-bay.We had a few passerines and waders land or circle the yacht. One robin landed on the wheel and sat there for some time despite the wheel being in use. We did see a variety of seabirds and cetaceans but spent hours with nothing in view. It was noticeable that once birds had landed even when land was in sight they seemed reluctant to leave this was also true when we had crossed the bay and were heading parallel to land.

Many years ago we (the Natural History Museum) used to get roughly monthly reports taken from ship's logs. Anything 'unusual' during a watch was recorded there, often with little drawings of the species concerned, and then the sightings (and any subsequent identifications) were published in a maritime journal (I can't recall the name). For some reason they stopped.
Do your sightings get recorded in the ship's log?
Do you also get moths turning up to the ship's lights (that's what I used to identify)?
There are numerous publications about this fascinating topic.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited:
Morning All
Just back from a tour of the back deck.
Found a Skylark corpse.
Overnight we had 40 odd knots of wind out of the SW, but a Wagtail did make it on board, briefly I think.
We now have 2 Chaffinch and a Brambling as 'residents', they seem quite happy feeding on soggy biscuits!
I'll try them with some fruit later.

As far as moths go, I did see one briefly a few nights ago.
Sightings do not get recorded in the ships log.

Seabirds have been very few but I'm still hanging on for a Shearwater or Skua

Cheerz

Morning,
Yesterday we had an addition of a Robin, along with a Brambling and 3 Chaffinch which have become our 'residents'.
This morning I've only seen a Robin and a single Chaffinch.
We did have a 40knt wind come thru last night, buts its settled down now to a Southerly 10 knts.

Cheerz

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back