Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 03:34   #51
NDhunter

Edwin:

These are small pocket binoculars, just get out there and use it. I suppose you will need some
time to get acquainted.

Don't expect these small types to be as enjoyable and easy to use as larger binoculars.

That is not going to happen.

Enjoy in good health.

Jerry
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 13:23   #52
edwincjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDhunter View Post
Edwin:

These are small pocket binoculars, just get out there and use it. I suppose you will need some
time to get acquainted.

Don't expect these small types to be as enjoyable and easy to use as larger binoculars.

That is not going to happen.

Enjoy in good health.

Jerry
Jerry,

Thank you for your somewhat guarded posts on the pocket compacts-they convinced me to start with the Terra to see if they are a value to my observing.
If I enjoy then, I can always move up to the Victory or CL --or be happy with what I have.
If I do not enjoy them, I have saved money and frustration on the more expensive pockets.

yes I do "need some time to get acquainted"

edj
-L Armstrong and others

Last edited by edwincjones : Saturday 12th August 2017 at 13:29.
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 13:48   #53
Troubador

I don't use pocket bins if it looks like it will rain and in fact rarely use them outside. So in the car, the office window and so on.

If I wanted to take one out regularly then I would fit a rainguard and buy an appropriate aftermarket case for storage and transit protection. Zeiss do a nice Cordura case for 32mm binos which will have enough room for pocket binos and a cleaning cloth and your favourite gum.

Lee
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 14:51   #54
mayoayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
If I enjoy then, I can always move up to the Victory or CL --or be happy with what I have.
If I do not enjoy them, I have saved money and frustration on the more expensive pockets.
I read a comparison on Cloudy nights that placed the Terra 25 above the CL in almost every area,from fit to Image quality,except a mm eye relief advantage for the CL and a shade brighter due to delivering 7.8X versus 8.2X for the terra...
The neck strap issue grows problematic as the size of binoculars decrease,I agree on that..when the bulk of the strap is bigger than the bulk of the binos and you aimed for ultimate compactness you feel strange..You want to have a strap or lanyard in case the bins need to be secured around the neck,but dont want it to be in the way ..I found the design of the strap lugs in my son's Pentax Papilio subcompacts to be a great solution..a quick release ,super integrated click-n-attach design that allows to fit or dettach the strap to the bins in a click..is a very good solution for small units..I appreciated the solution because I always thought that manufacturers are not very creative with the design of straps or strap lugs..They could create such elegant solutions with little thought and yet....
Old Saturday 12th August 2017, 22:04   #55
PhilR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwincjones View Post
OK-this may be/is a dumb question, but how does one use these?

My pair of the 8x25 Terras arrived today-my first pocket binoculars-and realize these are a different animal from normal binoculars

I attached the neck strap, like I always do with binoculars but worried re sweat falling on the EPs which have no rain guards.
I could get optional rainguards but then will not fit in small case.
May be easier to hold without neck strap? wrist strap? no strap?
Pocket only would work-but I do not have pockets in the summer.

So, how does one use/carry the pocket compacts ?

thanks,
edj
We each have an 8x25 CL-Pocket, which as you might know does not come with rainguards (boooo!!!). We like to carry them around our necks, but were also worried about stuff getting on the oculars. We purchased two rainguards made by Opticron. They fit perfectly. Very inexpensive as well. IIRC, you can see these at the Eagle Optics site.......
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 03:05   #56
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

I own the 8x25 Terra and have recently had the opportunity to compare it to the 8x25 CL. While the Terra is a great value and the view punches above it's price for sure...the CL is on a different level - brighter, sharp, more contrasty, low CA and with a wonderfully easy view for a 25 mm. I could see myself using it as a primary birding bin if needed.

Of course, at nearly three times the price, it really should beat the Terra on most counts - and it does apart from some glare. It doesn't diminish the Terra in my eyes but does show just how good a 25 mm can really get.
Old Sunday 13th August 2017, 18:28   #57
mayoayo

Seems like the unitl of the CL reviewed in cloudy night was not perfectly collimated,..perhaps a case of less tan perfect unit meeting a cherry..
Old Monday 14th August 2017, 03:23   #58
sbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
I own the 8x25 Terra and have recently had the opportunity to compare it to the 8x25 CL. While the Terra is a great value and the view punches above it's price for sure...the CL is on a different level - brighter, sharp, more contrasty, low CA and with a wonderfully easy view for a 25 mm. I could see myself using it as a primary birding bin if needed.

Of course, at nearly three times the price, it really should beat the Terra on most counts - and it does apart from some glare. It doesn't diminish the Terra in my eyes but does show just how good a 25 mm can really get.
Totally agree. Terra is value, but doesn't compare.
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 20:49   #59
jeffhosier

A month ago I wrote on this thread "I've had my Terra 8x25s for a year and the hinges are pretty loose. Makes them difficult to use. I've e-mailed Zeiss UK asking them if it's possible to tighten them. I'll let you know what they say."

I sent them back to the UK repair agents, and a month later, I was sent a brand new pair from Zeiss Germany with nice firm hinges. Pretty good customer service.

Last edited by jeffhosier : Wednesday 20th September 2017 at 20:50. Reason: my typos!
Old Wednesday 20th September 2017, 22:35   #60
gunut
Registered Offender

Jeff..
I posted about this earlier in this thread but feel the need to bitch again......I sent my 8x25 into Zeiss USA 4 months ago.....same loose hinges issue...sounds like this is a design flaw if they cant fix the almost new unit...
they said they would be replacing them instead of fixing....but that they were waiting on a fresh shipment ....still waiting for them to replace it.....

Last edited by gunut : Wednesday 20th September 2017 at 22:41.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: