• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Larus? (1 Viewer)

Lancey

Dear all,
I saw this gull today in Kent and I don't really know what it is, can you help? In flight it showed a white rump and an obvious black tail band. Unfortunately for me to have noticed these features required it to be flying which it did - once - and didn't come back.

Please let me know what you think,
Thanks,

Lancey

Attachments

• gull 013.jpg
    gull 013.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 179
  • gull 014.jpg
    gull 014.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 185
  • gull 017.jpg
    gull 017.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 159
I'd also go with 1w LBB Gull based on extensively dark tertials, long pointy wings and fairly delicate build. Your description of the tail/rump is also a pro LBB feature. I have to admit though that I'm still not exacty sure how to tell many Y-l.Gulls from slightly weird and bigger looking LBBs. Anyone care to tell me...?

No Y-l. Gull has such a slim build and fine bill or such extensively dark inner greater coverts as this. Also. there is no sign of any 1st-w feathers in the scapulars so this is still a full juvenile, Y-l. Gulls are well advanced into 1st-w plumage by early September and have grey and black barred scapulars (rather than the plain dark feathers with narrow pale fringes shown by this bird) and show a contrast between a grey toned mantle and darker wing-coverts. Also Y-l. Gull rarely has such an extensive dark mask on the face and tends instead to have dark feathering more centred around the eye so that a vaguely Med Gull like impression is often created.

Dave

Dear all,
Thanks for your help with sorting this out. I have attached a photo which reveals the bill shape in more detail since I saw Dave's comment about a fine bill which may have been due in part to the quality of the videograbs provided. The bill in fact looks like it's shaped like a scimitar.

Regards,
Lancey

Attachments

• gull 022.jpg
    gull 022.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 129
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back