• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best 8x32 Bins? (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

I've been posting on here forever about wanting a pair of 8x32 BNs. I currently own 6x30 Yosemite, 8x42 Ultravid BR and 10x42 SEs. Without going into all the intangable reasons I like the little Trinovid so much, I was wondering how they compared to other under $1,000.00 bins?

I have already extensively compared them to the 8x30 SLC, 8x32 Ultravid BR and 8x32 EL. The only one that beats them in my mind is the EL but it is too expensive for me to consider. How about the 8x32 SE, there seems to be an almost cult following of these bins. I love my 10x42s but I think I want these, carry everywhere in any weather, bins to be bullet proof. I wouldn't want to miss out on some sleeper 8x32, but I am really enamored with the small BN.

Thanks, John

John,

The Leica 8x32 BN is a very good binocular, but it has been obsolesced in some respects. First of all, I do not believe that it had an electrolyte surfacing on its mirrors, which was the improvement on BR's. Secondly, HD, FL, EDS, etc., glasses seem to add something for the image and colour, even at the low magnifications of eight and ten power.

The BN suits you, so why worry about other models? The only problem is finding one. Perhaps Doug at Cameralandny, the samplelist.com at SWFA, or some other major dealer, can come up with a certified used one, or look at Astromart.

Personally, I found that the 8x32 Nikon Se, to be a rather unfriendly binocular. I was plagued by kidney bean effect and I refused to adapt to its peculiarities.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
The Leica 8x32 BN is very good binocular, but it has been obsolesced in some respects. First of all, I do not believe that it had an electrolyte surfacing on its mirrors, which was the improvement on BR's. Secondly, HD, FL, EDS, etc., glasses seem to add something for the image and colour, even at the low magnifications of eight and ten power.

I agree. I still use my old Leica 8x32 BA extensively though. It's still quite a nice pair, but the modern binoculars are just a little better. I personally like the Zeiss 8x32 FL best, but like so many other things in the field of optics that's a personal preference. I do feel the "old" Leicas are somewhat more robust. My pair has taken quite a beating over the years, with no ill effects whatsoever.

Hermann

I agree. I still use my old Leica 8x32 BA extensively though. It's still quite a nice pair, but the modern binoculars are just a little better. I personally like the Zeiss 8x32 FL best, but like so many other things in the field of optics that's a personal preference. I do feel the "old" Leicas are somewhat more robust. My pair has taken quite a beating over the years, with no ill effects whatsoever.

Hermann

Hello Hermann,

Yes, just a little better, at a significantly higher price.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Yes, just a little better, at a significantly higher price.

Arthur

A little bit brighter, and maybe a little less false color.
But, not better build quality or better ergonomics IMO.

You are talking about $600. - $900. (HD, FL) more for a couple of % better view of which you might not be able to even see except under the right conditions.

I've been saying for a long time that there's more to a binocular than absolute visual performance. How transparently a bino does it's job without a thought given to it counts greatly. If you find a bino that suits you well you should buy it and use it.

Last edited:
A little bit brighter, and maybe
But, not better build quality or better ergonomics IMO.

... How transparently a bino does it's job without a thought given to it counts greatly. If you find a bino that suits you well you should buy it and use it.

Hello Kevin,

The Zeiss FL does something beyond a little less false color. When I first used one in the field on a sunny spring day, I was astonished by the quality of the vivid colours. Others perceive greater gradations of colour with the FL's. The 8x32 Zeiss FL suits me well, so I use I am happy to use it. It I were to be in the field with a Leica 8x32 BN, I would not be terribly unhappy.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Last edited:
Years ago (about 2002) I spent a lot of time deciding whether to buy a Nikon 8 x 30 EII or a Nikon 8 x 32 SE. The EII was about $250.00 cheaper, so I got it and was (and still am) very happy with it. When the SE was recently discontinued I bought one at a closeout price. (BTW, it cost more than the 2002 price.) I must say that if I had purchased it in 2002, I might never have bought another binocular! I don't know whether that is good or bad!;) Any way, it is, along with my 10 x 42 SE, the best binocular I have ever used. The views from both are stunning; jaw dropping!:t: In this respect they are clearly better than my Leica 7 x 42 BN Trinovid and my 8 x 32 LX L.

I've never had the opportunity to use a Zeiss, and I've only spent a short period of time with a 8.5 x 42 EL so I can't comment on them.

Bob

Bob,
I know the SE's are not adverstised as waterproof, but it seems that I have read in various reviews that people have used them in the rain without problem. Have you had any experience using yours in bad weather? If the SEs are better optically but the Trinovids are bombproof and close optically that would tilt me to the Trinovids.

Thanks, John

John,
I didn't own the SE's when I was younger and went out often in bad weather, and I don't take them out in that kind of weather now. I could do so by carrying them under my parka but I'd rather not worry about them; although I don't think a bit of rain will hurt them. They are built quite sturdily. On the rare occasions that I venture out for lengthy periods of time in inclement weather I take my 7 x 42 Leica Trinovids. I have to agree that they are bomb proof and I like their 6mm exit pupil on those bleak days. When I go fly fishing I carry either a water proof Eagle 6 x 32 Platinum Ranger or a little 8 x 20 Trinovid in a plastic sandwich bag (it's not water proof) in case I fall in!;) In the past, when I went to Hawk Mountain for the migration I almost always used my 10 x 42 SE. I took the 7 x 42 with me as a back up although it is, in itself, an excellent binocular for that purpose. I used to use my old Leitz 7 x 42 Trinovid there. I used the 8 x 32 SE there this year. I've owned it for less than a year now. I also took it to Cape May during the last week of April past and very much enjoyed using it there at the Point.

Bob

Last edited:
I've been posting on here forever about wanting a pair of 8x32 BNs. I currently own 6x30 Yosemite, 8x42 Ultravid BR and 10x42 SEs. Without going into all the intangable reasons I like the little Trinovid so much, I was wondering how they compared to other under $1,000.00 bins?

I have already extensively compared them to the 8x30 SLC, 8x32 Ultravid BR and 8x32 EL. The only one that beats them in my mind is the EL but it is too expensive for me to consider. How about the 8x32 SE, there seems to be an almost cult following of these bins. I love my 10x42s but I think I want these, carry everywhere in any weather, bins to be bullet proof. I wouldn't want to miss out on some sleeper 8x32, but I am really enamored with the small BN.

This seems like a "no-brainer" to me. Given your strong attraction to the 8x32 BN and your level of experience with other premium binoculars, including some of the competitors to the 8x32 BN, get the BN! What are you worried about?--as you already know, it's a great binocular! I have the 8x32 BA (in most respects identical to the BN), 8x32 FL, 8x32 EL and 8x32 SE. Yes, the SE is optically the best of the lot, but the others are all outstanding, and overall I think they are all better all-around birding binoculars than the SE. They are all more compact than the SE, have quicker yet equally precise focus, lie flat against the chest when hanging from a strap, do not stiffen (focus) in the cold like the SE, and are fully waterproof. I find the 8x32 roofs are faster on the bird in use, and easier to stow or hang unobtrusively on my person when not in use. My Leica 8x32 is not as bright as the others, and it has a slightly greenish color bias (I've heard that later production (BN) does not have the color bias), but it is still one of my very favorite birding binos of all time. It's been around the world with me yet after 10 years of heavy use, it still looks new. It's an awesomely durable, ergonomic, and optically delightful (easy view) bino.

--AP

Bob,
I've never had the opportunity to look through a pair of 8x32 SEs, but as you know I do own a pair of 10x42 SEs. Would you say the 8x32s are the same optically as the 10x42s , brightness, resolution, ect except for the magnification and FOV? Owning the Ultravid BRs and 10x42 SEs I have a good idea of how the larger SEs compare my Leicas, I'm just trying to place the 8x32 SEs against a known quantity.

Thanks,
John

ps: I did buy those 8x32BNs as I liked the total package. Alexis's favorable comments helped push me over the edge.

Bob,
I've never had the opportunity to look through a pair of 8x32 SEs, but as you know I do own a pair of 10x42 SEs. Would you say the 8x32s are the same optically as the 10x42s , brightness, resolution, ect except for the magnification and FOV? Owning the Ultravid BRs and 10x42 SEs I have a good idea of how the larger SEs compare my Leicas, I'm just trying to place the 8x32 SEs against a known quantity.

Thanks,
John

ps: I did buy those 8x32BNs as I liked the total package. Alexis's favorable comments helped push me over the edge.

John,
Yes, I'd say that they are virtually the same optically. They share the same eyepieces and the prism housings appear to be identical. The objective tubes, of course, are wider and longer in the 10 x 42's. The 8's are easier to use, at least for me. They have excellent ergonomics and fit my big hands quite nicely. Maybe I'm getting too old for 10x. I like using them better when I am sitting down. Optically, they both are better than my 7 x 42 BN Trinovid, but I really like that binocular too. If I were limited to one binocular I would be hard pressed deciding whether to keep the 8 x 32 SE or the 7 x 42.

I think you will be happy with your 8 x 32 Trinovid. If I didn't own a Nikon 8 x 32 LX L roof prism, I'd be sorely tempted to get one too, simply based on my experience with the 7 x 42.
Cordially,
Bob

John,
Yes, I'd say that they are virtually the same optically. They share the same eyepieces and the prism housings appear to be identical. The objective tubes, of course, are wider and longer in the 10 x 42's. The 8's are easier to use, at least for me. They have excellent ergonomics and fit my big hands quite nicely. Maybe I'm getting too old for 10x. I like using them better when I am sitting down. Optically, they both are better than my 7 x 42 BN Trinovid, but I really like that binocular too. If I were limited to one binocular I would be hard pressed deciding whether to keep the 8 x 32 SE or the 7 x 42.

I think you will be happy with your 8 x 32 Trinovid. If I didn't own a Nikon 8 x 32 LX L roof prism, I'd be sorely tempted to get one too, simply based on my experience with the 7 x 42.
Cordially,
Bob

Addendum: Nov 8, 2008.

Today was a cloudy, overcast day with some rain. I spent about an hour comparing my 7 x 42 Trinovid and my 8 x 32 SE. The SE seems to be a smidgeon brighter than the Trinovid despite the smaller exit pupil. Not enough to be significant. I'm happy with both of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back