• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Californian Birds (1 Viewer)

Cillana

A non-birder posted these pics on an aquarium forum after a trip to California. I took a stab at IDing them. Practice for one day when I may visit the west coast. :t:

Photo 1 (CAbird1.jpg): Black Phoebe
Photo 2 (CAbird2.jpg): juv Red-tailed Hawk
Photo 3 (CAbird5.jpg): Heermann's Gull
Photo 4 (CAbird4.jpg): 2nd year Thayer's Gull
Photo 5 (CAbird3.jpg): juv Mew Gull in center, adult Herring Gulls surrounding

Attachments

• CAbird1.jpg
    CAbird1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 79
  • CAbird2.jpg
    CAbird2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 77
  • CAbird3.jpg
    CAbird3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 109
  • CAbird4.jpg
    CAbird4.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 119
  • CAbird5.jpg
    CAbird5.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Here's another pic of the last group. It's just barely different, but might as well put it since I have it.

Attachments

• CAbird3b.jpg
    CAbird3b.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 86
1 through 3 are correct. Number 4 I would call a second year California Gull (?), and number 5 is a 1st year Heermann's Gull.

jcwings said:
1 through 3 are correct. Number 4 I would call a second year California Gull (?), and number 5 is a 1st year Heermann's Gull.

Can you elaborate as to why you came to these conclusions?

i'd call no4 2cy california gull either on that little bill with black tip. plumage is totally messy. and the adult gulls surrounding the juv heermann's are westerns imo.

tyrannulet said:
#5 is hermann's because of dark overall coloring and is a lot smaller then the surrounding gulls

Thanks. Found a pic of a juvenile Mew Gull and I can see that it's definately not it. I was just going by a description before.

My first thought was Western for the surrounding birds in #5, but then I thought the darkness of the photo was fooling me into thinking the mantle was darker so I changed my mind to Herring. Is there any other way to tell them apart?

I thought Thayer's on #4 because I thought it was moulting from brown primaries to black primaries. But now I see they are really worn and just faded to brown.

Thanks. :)

Cillana said:
My first thought was Western for the surrounding birds in #5, but then I thought the darkness of the photo was fooling me into thinking the mantle was darker so I changed my mind to Herring. Is there any other way to tell them apart?

I thought Thayer's on #4 because I thought it was moulting from brown primaries to black primaries. But now I see they are really worn and just faded to brown.

Thanks. :)
That mantel shade in the photo is almost perfect for Western actually. Also This photo I believe was taken in the summer when Herring Gulls do not occur in California. The overall bulk, bill shape and if you see them in "person", agreesiveness can distiguish them as well. Westerns are meaner. Then there's the long call display which is actually really helpful at identifying them when you see them. Unlike Herring, Western lacks the mewing introductory squeals, consistant only of rapid notes and as Sibley mentions, they are more clipped and less two sylabled sounding. Also the head is never pointed up when calling. Western brings head up to an almost upright standing position. This particular pattern is shared only by it's three closest relatives, Yellow-Footed, Glaucous-Winged and Slaty-Backed Gulls.

At some point I will try to take some video of Western Gulls calling as this long call display can be very usefull for identification.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back