• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trying out lenses (400/4 DO & 500/4) Edinburgh area (1 Viewer)

citrinella

Would anybody in the Edinburgh area be willing and able to let me try either :

400 f4 DO IS

or

500 f4 IS

??

I want to be able to handhold - how long is practicable for me ??

Yes I know about the 400 f5.6 but I want the extra stop !

TIA, Mike :)

citrinella said:

400 f4 DO IS
or
500 f4 IS
??

I've never seen a 400 f4 DO except in its carton at Focus on Imaging, and the only time I've seen the 500 f4 IS was a few weeks ago at Welney WWT, where there were two in use in the main hide. Could you try an RSPB reserve in your area?
In my area of Milton Keynes I know nobody else with long lenses, and I'm the one who gets the attention when I'm out with my battered cream lens and substantial hood - I think it's the hood that gets the attention! (EF 300 f2.8L)

citrinella said:

400 f4 DO IS

or

500 f4 IS

??

Mike,

I bought the 500mm f4 rather than the 600mm because reviewers said that this lens was at the weight limit for hand-holding. At 3.87 kg (plus a bit more for the 1.4x TC I always use it with) I would agree. I sometimes take it off the 'pod to shoot raptors in flight, etc. but it is hard work and I usually resort to a bean bag and resting it against the car roof or something. I have no experience of the 400m f4 DO but at 1.94 kg this could be a "walk about" lens - the 500mm most certainly is not, unless you are bionic.

Colin

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back