• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

flash with 350D and 400 F5.6 (1 Viewer)

Peter Ericsson

When I bought my present set up I didn't include an external flash. The built in flash does fine up to 5-7 meters but inside the forest it isn't really enough.
I tried pushing the ISO to 1600 but don't like the grainy results. True, a noise filter helps a bit but , still not enough. Won't try the 1600 again.
Instead I think I need a flash gun. Can;t afford a Canon. What are the options?
Sunpak? Which model?

I'd love to be able to shoot at faster speed then the camera allows for flash photography which means 1/200. Is there a way to achice this? I still only handhold my equipment.

Cheers
Peter

Flash options

Peter Ericsson said:
Instead I think I need a flash gun. Can;t afford a Canon. What are the options?
Sunpak? Which model?

I'd love to be able to shoot at faster speed then the camera allows for flash photography which means 1/200. Is there a way to achice this? I still only handhold my equipment.

Cheers
Peter

A popular choice is the Sigma EF-500 DG ST SUPER. It is important to get the SUPER and not the cheaper non super as it works TTL on the camera. More importantly for extra reach, you may consider the Better Beamer. I have both but haven't tried the beamer yet.

tirc83 said:
A popular choice is the Sigma EF-500 DG ST SUPER. It is important to get the SUPER and not the cheaper non super as it works TTL on the camera. More importantly for extra reach, you may consider the Better Beamer. I have both but haven't tried the beamer yet.

Tx! What sort of a price range are we talking about here?

Prices

Peter Ericsson said:
Tx! What sort of a price range are we talking about here?

A quick Google showed it £175 here
http://www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1258/prodtype.asp

I'm sure you can find it a few pounds cheaper but it depends which country you buy it in. I get all my stuff in the US - much cheaper even without the current healthy exchange rate.

You might find something second hand - try asking in the dpreview.com forum. I forgot to mention that mine is used for the 20D - you might want to double check that it's compatible with the 350D (I'd be surprised if it's not).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back