• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuzzy Pics for ID (1 Viewer)

Fuchsia

Bug Babe
Hello,
Just thawing out after a trip to the Quiberon Peninsula. Can someone please tell me what this birds is - seen flitting about the cliff top.
Many thanks
Jen :)

Attachments

• thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 254
Hi Jen

Looks good for a Rock Pipit to me too. Like Andrew I am not going to attempt to ID it to race, but it does seem to have a strong supercillium.......................

Well, I was going to settle for Rock Pipit but since people keep mentioning race (and all this talk of supercilliums has got me excited) - can you tell me which!

Jen ;-))

I think the strong supercillium would indicate that this might be a Scandinavian Rock Pipit littoralis. That said, it seems more obvious to me in one picture (bottom left) than in the other (top) so it's a bit hard to be sure how extensive it is from these pics. It also looks to have a bit of a greyish tone to the upperparts, which would also indicate littoralis but I doubt if it can be assigned with certainty from these pictures (and possibly not even in the field either).

If its in an area where there are no breeding petrosus Rock Pipits, that would be additional circumstantial evidence!

In addition to the wing bars and super, I've not seen certain petrosus show the almost bluethroat like white throat patch that this bird has.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back