• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Louisiana Sparrow IDs (1 Viewer)

Cillana

Seen in the Atchafalaya Basin during the GBBC. I'm pretty sure on my IDs, but I just wanted to get a second opinion since it's for an official count.

First 3 shots (all same bird): Swamp Sparrow
Last 2 shots (both same bird): Song Sparrow

Attachments

• sparrow1shot1.jpg
    sparrow1shot1.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 76
  • sparrow1shot2.jpg
    sparrow1shot2.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 82
  • sparrow1shot3.jpg
    sparrow1shot3.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 86
  • sparrow2shot1.jpg
    sparrow2shot1.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 94
  • sparrow2shot2.jpg
    sparrow2shot2.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 81
I thought Song sparrows had a darker chest dot. Do some not have this spot?

I think the angle of the photo is obscuring it to some degree but to answer your question, yes, there is variability in this feature.

When it comes to sparrows, it's best not to try to fixate on a single field mark but rather to take a long look at the overall appearance of the bird, noting stance, actions, habitat and looking at a suite of fieldmarks. Sparrows can be notoriously variable and small plumage changes can throw you off if you are too stuck on one feature.

{EDIT: cross posting with James}

I thought Song sparrows had a darker chest dot. Do some not have this spot?

Yes, some do not have the spot, so absence of the spot is not really an ID feature for song.

The photos are swamp and song, as the OP suggested.

Best,
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back