• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shore birds ID? (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, could you please identify these 2 shore birds for me?

My guess is that the second one is Lesser Yellowleg .. not too sure.

The first one was taken on the Atlantic Coast of Virginia, the second one was taken in Mason Neck Wildlife Refuge (basically near the Chesapeake Bay).

Attachments

• CRW_8003_RJ.jpg
    CRW_8003_RJ.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 293
  • CRW_7596_RJ.jpg
    CRW_7596_RJ.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 276
The first group look like Western Sandpipers, and I agree the second pic looks like a Lesser Yellowlegs.

Thanks, I forgot to say I was guessing Least Sandpiper for the first picture .. although I have the toughest time with sandpipers, to me they are all little grayish/brownish nervous runners :D

Here's another picture of the yellowleg. I though the Greater has up-curved bill ... they were very far at the time and these pictures were the best I got :-(

I have never seen a lesser only the yellow leg. but isnt the beak to long for a lesser?
do you have some more pictures ? Fred

Attachments

• yellowleg.jpg
    yellowleg.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 168
I think the pictures are good ! and i can see the diffrence between the two so i guess the other one is a lesser yellowL. When was the first picture taken with the (sandpipers)? / Fred

I agree - the second picture makes it obvious that the Yellowlegs is a Greater.

BTW, if the pics were not taken recently, please post that information with the original request. It can make a very big difference, considering range for the season and molt. Westerns winter on the southeast coast, but having some there in May I think would be unusual. The legs on these birds do look dark, though, unless it's just because they are in shadow.

Last edited:
are both pics of the Yellow L. the same bird?

No (though OP may have thought they were). The first yellowlegs photo in the first post is definitely a Lesser Yellowlegs. The second photo in a subsequent post is definitely a Greater Yellowlegs. I agree with Randy that the peeps in the first post are Western Sandpipers--note the rufous scapulars.

Best,
Jim

Hi, thanks all.

I am new on this forum, next time I will remember to post the time and location :)

And I thought they were the same birds .. I snapped a few in the same location within a short period of time .. I did not remember exactly what happened there. Good to know that I got two birds with one camera ;-)

Thanks Jim !

No (though OP may have thought they were). The first yellowlegs photo in the first post is definitely a Lesser Yellowlegs. The second photo in a subsequent post is definitely a Greater Yellowlegs. I agree with Randy that the peeps in the first post are Western Sandpipers--note the rufous scapulars.

Best,
Jim

That was what i thought! /Fred

;)If you zoom in on the peeps you can see that they are all in different,though close stages of moult.
There is no real pattern to the grey/black/chestnut centred feathers.You would expect a less random pattern on Western Sandpiper.
Look closely at the breast band.It isn't fine streaks but is almost solid.
Both these are signs of Sanderling.
That extremely pure white belly is a pointer too;-no chevrons or stripes to be seen anywhere.:t:

I believe I would go with Greater Yellowlegs for both of the photos of the yellowlegs. The bill of the bird in the first yellowlegs photo appears to be too long for a Lesser. To me the feathers appear to be "compressed", giving the impression of a smaller bird.

And Sanderlings, for the peeps!

aren't the first lot sanderlings though?

You are right (as usual) Nick! The bills didn't look quite right for Western (not curved anyway), but couldn't think what else would be showing rufous scapulars. I can't find photos of Sanderlings showing this pattern of molt in my shorebird references--rufous on backs/scapulars but none or little on heads--but agree that's what they are. Would have been easier in the field if we could have judged size or seen how they moved!

I believe I would go with Greater Yellowlegs for both of the photos of the yellowlegs. The bill of the bird in the first yellowlegs photo appears to be too long for a Lesser. To me the feathers appear to be "compressed", giving the impression of a smaller bird.

Definitely disagree. Bill on first yellowlegs is thin, straight, all dark and short. Second is thick, long, and pale-based. Head on first is small, and entire bird is dainty. I'm not buying the "compressed" feathers theory, but difference in bill structure and size is enough regardless.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back