• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Well I'm up, so I may as well get some food inside me and head over to UW.

See you all over there at some time during the day fellas, have a good un :t:

All Dayer!!!

A 03:30 start on the moors kicks off with a hooting Tawny Owl at 03:55 - my 129th recorded species this year. Reed and Sedge Warblers are singing already and Oystercatcher has called a couple times.

Last edited:
Great morning with the gang at the Flashes this morning. As "Even" Dave has said Wood Sand and Yellow Wag just as I was leaving. I should have record shots of both but conditions were... grim, to say the least today! Taking pics off memory card at present...
As I thought the Wood Sand and Yellow Wags are purely record shots, but here a three other. One of the world's most obliging Sedge Warbler (again). A couple of Common Terns that were 2 of 3 having a dogfight over the Sailing Pool when I got back to the Landie, and an early morning mood shot for all you part timers!

Attachments

• Sedge Warbler_resize.jpg
    Sedge Warbler_resize.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Common Tern_resize.jpg
    Common Tern_resize.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 64
  • Flashes Mood_resize.jpg
    Flashes Mood_resize.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 74
What a great day, good food cheers Sy :t: and the concrete bunker crew :t:

Great birds, Hobby and Red Kite the pick, takes my UW year total to 105.

But most of all great company, cheers everyone for a really enjoyable day roll on the next one.

Hope you managed to get home ok Gert?

What a great day, good food cheers Sy :t: and the concrete bunker crew :t:

Great birds, Hobby and Red Kite the pick, takes my UW year total to 105.

But most of all great company, cheers everyone for a really enjoyable day roll on the next one.

Hope you managed to get home ok Gert?

Drove by a rather soggy Gert along the A38 who very manfully refused the offer of a lift - Gary will be proud! :t:

Drove by a rather soggy Gert along the A38 who very manfully refused the offer of a lift - Gary will be proud! :t:

Yes many thanks Phil - a police car also slowed down and had a good look at me..

Anyway, a great day with great company and of, course great birds - Yellow Wagtail at last! Drinking a pint of Golden (as close to Yellow as I could get) Ale to celebrate.B :)

Thanks to 3 splendid new birds (Yellow Wag, Hobby and Red Kite) my year list moves to 122:t:

Oh, and the non carbon birders (me and Gary) list ended at 78..

Last edited:
Another great day with all the old and new Boy's.
A slow start but ticked over after the rain stopped. When Wood sand and yellow wag dropped in. The final bird was a common gull late on at the Moors.
Our final Tally was 85.
Marsh Lane 84
and Belvide 91 nice one Nick Barlow and Steve Nuttall. Let's do it all again in the Autumn.

we didn't see Green Woody, Grey Wag, little Owl, Cettis (wiped out during the winter), Oh well there's always next year.;)
Oh ye thanks to Sy and Mike for the bacon sarnies. Gav, Dave and Gaz for the cakes. ;)
Sy we've moved your raft to the launch pad

Last edited:
A solid rather than spectacular All-Dayer with a total of 85 species recorded; the two stand-out birds were the Wood Sand which dropped into the Flashes for 25 mins just before midday and the Red Kite which flew low over the Moors Pool mid afternoon before circling and heading off south-east where it could be seen from both the Sailing Pool and Flashes, producing an Upton tick for several long-standing regulars.

Species list was as follows:-

1.Mute Swan 2.Canada Goose 3.Greylag Goose 4.Shelduck 5.Mallard 6.Gadwall 7.Tufted Duck 8.GC Grebe 9.Little Grebe 10.Cormorant 11.Grey Heron 12.Pheasant 13.Coot 14.Moorhen 15.Water Rail 16.Buzzard 17.Red Kite 18.Marsh Harrier 19.Sparrowhak 20.Kestrel 21.Hobby 22.Peregrine 23.Avocet 24.Oystercatcher 25.Curlew 26.Lapwing 27.Ringed Plover 28.Little Ringed Plover 29.Wood Sandpiper 30.Common Sandpiper 31.Snipe 32.Black-headed Gull 33.Herring Gull 34.Common Gull 35.Lesser Black-backed Gull 36.Common Tern 37.Tawny Owl 38.Cuckoo 39.Wood Pigeon 40.Stock Dove 41.Collared Dove 42.Feral Pigeon 43.GS Woodpecker 44.Pied Wagtail 45.Yellow Wagtail 46.Skylark 47.Swift 48.Swalllow 49.Sand Martin 50.House Martin 51.Kingfisher 52.Wheatear 53.Blackbird 54.Mistle Thrush 55.Song Thrush 56.Dunnock 57.Robin 58.Wren 59.Blackcap 60.Garden Warbler 61.Lesser Whitethroat 62.Whitethroat 63.Sedge Warbler 64.Reed Warbler 65.Chiffchaff 66.Willow Warbler 67.Goldcrest 68.Blue Tit 69.Great Tit 70.LT Tit 71.Treecreeper 72.Carrion Crow 73.Rook 74.Jay 75.Magpie 76.Raven 77.Jackdaw 78.Chaffinch 79.Greenfinch 80.Bullfinch 81.Goldfinch 82.Linnet 83.Reed Bunting 84.House Sparrow 85.Starling

However it was very much a question of what might have been, particularly in light of the wader / tern passage experienced elsewhere in the West Mids (particularly at Bevide and Bittell). My personal daily total was 78.

Congratulations to Steve Nuttall and his crew racking up 91 for the day at Belvide; I am sure between the two reserves we will have managed approaching 110 species.

Last edited:
Another great day with all the old and new Boy's.
A slow start but ticked over after the rain stopped. When Wood sand and yellow wag dropped in. The final bird was a common gull late on at the Moors.
Our final Tally was 85.
Marsh Lane 84
and Belvide 91 nice one Nick Barlow and Steve Nuttall. Let's do it all again in the Autumn.

we didn't see Green Woody, Grey Wag, little Owl, Cettis (wiped out during the winter), Oh well there's always next year.;)
Oh ye thanks to Sy and Mike for the bacon sarnies. Gav, Dave and Gaz for the cakes. ;)
Sy we've moved your raft to the launch pad

I think that was a fantastic effort by all concerned. A shame that we didn't get Green Woody, Grey Wag and Little Owl - Cetti's was never really likely. I did sit in the East Hide at the Moors Pool for some time early morning and again later in the afternoon, hoping to see Green Woody in the same spot as I had the day before, but it was not to be.

Highlights of the day for me were hearing the Tawny Owl at five-to-four in the morning - making my early start all the more worthwhile and yielding another UW Year Tick (110) - and Gert's joy at finally getting a Yellow Wagtail:king:B :)B :)B. I was also delighted for Gary and Mike, who, after many collective years of birding at Upton Warren, now boast Red Kite amongst the already impressive collection of species on their respective UW lists:t:

Back to bed for me now:cat:. I will probably visit the mecca again this afternoon, in another attempt to get that elusive Marsh Harrier that keeps eluding me. That is unless I get a text beforehand from one of today's earlybirds: anything happening this morning Dave;).

I was also delighted for Gary and Mike, who, after many collective years of birding at Upton Warren, now boast Red Kite amongst the already impressive collection of species on their respective UW lists:t:

That was yesterday's undoubted highlight for me :t::t: RedKite was one of two species seen yesterday that had not previously been recorded on the spring all-dayer, Wood Sandpiper being the other.

Yesterday's efforts bring my year-list at Upton to 117 - adding Ringed Plover and Hobby as well as the kite :t:

Got to go now as I've just had a call telling me a Black Redstart has been seen this morning ...

Mike

I missed the Black Redstart by seconds as i left the hide. While looking for it a Whinchat popped up on the hedge too. Still searching for the black red now - they can be extremely elusive but it can't have gone far. The more eyes looking for it the better.

I missed the Black Redstart by seconds as i left the hide. While looking for it a Whinchat popped up on the hedge too. Still searching for the black red now - they can be extremely elusive but it can't have gone far. The more eyes looking for it the better.

I'm on my way:bounce: Flashes or Moors Pool?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back