• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wagtail, pipit or chat or what? (1 Viewer)

Lawrie Hodges

I went down to Bough Beech again yesterday to see if I could get some better shots of the Pectoral Sandpiper (if he was still there). My shots were worse and so is this one but I have leafed back and forth through Mullarney et al. and can find no sensible match. My first thought on seeing the bird was Yellow Wagtail but the the rufous bib seemed wrong. Any birds with rufous fronts are not depicted as having strong yellow under parts. So, I appeal again to the experts. I sorry again that the picture is so poor.

Attachments

• dscn3238a.jpg
    dscn3238a.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 357
Hi Lawrie

the bird in the picture appears to be a Grey Wagtail, the rufous on the bird could be staining of some sort and not actual plumage colour.
The eye-stripe, grey back, black wings with white stripe, long tail and yellow underparts which are brighter on the under-tail coverts all combined point to Grey Wagtail

Hope this helps

JJM

A rich pink or peach wash on the underparts and supercillium is typical of first-year Grey wagtails. This colour is normally most vivid on the sides of the breast, just as in your bird.

Spud

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back