• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 7x35 Action versus Action Extreme (1 Viewer)

tpcollins

I'm wanting another binoc with a wide Field of View for watching football games in Michigan Stadium. The 489' listed for the Nikon 7x35 Action/Action Extreme looks very promising, especially with a decent eye relief for us eyeglass wearers.

But on another forum, someone indicated the Action Extreme is a replacement for the standard Action model with the addition of waterproofing. And this guy stated that he compared them both side by side in back of a store and thought the standard Action had better optics. Just wondering if there was a move to lessen expenses that reduces quality that sometimes happens in product upgrades - or if this was just a fluke situation? Thanks.

The Action Extreme wasn't a replacement for the Action. Both are current products.

The Action has rather restricted eye relief. Not very good for glasses wearers but the "uncorrected" population it should be fine.

And of course the Action Extreme is waterproof (and so a little heavier too).

I've not ABed the Action and Action Extreme though the AE has been a recommended beginning birder binocular. Did he say what differences he saw between the two? Does he have a reputation reviewing binoculars?

I'm wanting another binoc with a wide Field of View for watching football games in Michigan Stadium. The 489' listed for the Nikon 7x35 Action/Action Extreme looks very promising, especially with a decent eye relief for us eyeglass wearers.

But on another forum, someone indicated the Action Extreme is a replacement for the standard Action model with the addition of waterproofing. And this guy stated that he compared them both side by side in back of a store and thought the standard Action had better optics. Just wondering if there was a move to lessen expenses that reduces quality that sometimes happens in product upgrades - or if this was just a fluke situation? Thanks.

TP:

I have experience with both the Nikon Action and Extreme in various sizes,
and the Action does quite well as it is, and would be rated as a nice choice in
the entry level area. The waterproofing may add value to you with the Extreme, but here is what I would recommend. If you wear eyeglasses the twist up eyecups would be better for you with the Extreme. If not the Action may be just the ticket. Consider the 7x35 or the 8x40, both good picks. ;)
Go to one of your larger sporting goods stores, and sample both, for you
mainly if you are at football games, the Action will do just fine. But this is
a good thing for most here to know, only you and your eyes, will be the judge.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back