• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ebro Delta (1 Viewer)

James Thomas

We are having a family holiday near Taragona in July and I plan on a day trip to the Ebro Delta. I will be using public transport to get there so the best option seems to be a train to L'Ampolla and limiting myself to the coastal path along the north of the delta. I would probably be happier with good photo opportunities rather than racing round for ticks. A few questions to start with;

1. If I hired a bicycle are the tracks suitable? Don't want to find it's sand!
2. Is there much difference in the different lagoons? Is there any benefit to making an effort to get to Riumar?
3. Anywhere in particular I should look to get to?

Thanks for any assistance, Jim.

A rushed reply!

We are having a family holiday near Taragona in July and I plan on a day trip to the Ebro Delta. I will be using public transport to get there so the best option seems to be a train to L'Ampolla and limiting myself to the coastal path along the north of the delta. I would probably be happier with good photo opportunities rather than racing round for ticks. A few questions to start with;

1. If I hired a bicycle are the tracks suitable? Don't want to find it's sand!
2. Is there much difference in the different lagoons? Is there any benefit to making an effort to get to Riumar?
3. Anywhere in particular I should look to get to?

Thanks for any assistance, Jim.

Bassa de les Olles, the NW of the lagoons, will be accessible by foot from L'Ampolla. Good birds there, fairly typical of the Ebro Delta. The last time that I went I had excellent views of squacco herons, little bittern and great reed warbler, to name just 3. Some of the tracks are sand along the beach by that lagoon. Different species are often seen at the different lagoons. Maybe have a look at my contributions under "Bird sightings" on the walking birder website.

Riumar is not the best site on the delta and there is a sizeable residential area just inland of it, with more planned, according to something that I saw on the internet recently. The southern part of the delta often has the widest range of bird species.

In July the Ebro Delta will be very hot. I don't know how you'll like cycling in that. It is also a deceptively large area, especially without motorised transport.

It is well worth the effort, and I've had about 10 holidays in the area!

Allen

As said, Bassa de les Olles and beyond is excellent. You should have no problem cycling there. Go right into the inlet of Port del Fangar, you should find most things on the mudflats there. Loads of Slender Billed Gulls, Terns, waders, etc. Riumar is a long way on a bike in July in the heat, and im not sure you will get a return for the effort. Riet Vell is worth a trip if you are feeling fit.

Stephen C is the local expert, you could hire him for the day, would save on the bike hire, and see shed loads more too.

Ebro in July

...holiday near Taragona in July ... trip to the Ebro Delta ... using public transport ... happier with good photo opportunities ...

Hi Jim

Firstly, you may want to check out the summer in the Ebro Delta intro here:
http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spa...g_in_spain_summer_itinerary_ebro_delta_anchor

or the summer section on this page here:
http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spain birding/EBRO birdwatching tours.html

The short answers to your questions are, yes, most of the tracks are suitable if it hasn't been raining, although you will find some of the sandier ones heavy going.

Also, the bird life does indeed change between the lagoons and other types of water (and other) habitats. It's this range of subtle niche variations that holds the key to much that the Ebro has to offer in fact.

During the Spring and Winter the Ebro's bird life is so numerous and widespread that you can't fail to find enough birds but the problem with summer is that you may have to go in search of it.

By way of example, waders that have failed on their breeding grounds may arrive back early in the Ebro during July (as it's an incredible food resource) but, not being so numerous, the number of options travelling by bicycle gives you could prove a limitation. Especially if you add in the heat factor and that some species such as Savi's and Moustached Warbler are localised.

'Spose it depends upon which species you want to see and your approach/outlook (e.g. you might see Collared Pratincole anywhere but if you definitely want to see one you'll have to go where they always are) but if you've never been to the Ebro Delta, or to Spain, before and you know you're going to be happy whatever, I'm absolutely sure you'll do fine.

The only thing that does strike me is your emphasis on photographs. Without a shadow of a doubt, the number of birds, variety of side-by-side locations and habitats and the hide and viewing point options offered on the south side of the river, if this is a priority, is where you should head. And you might find getting close enough for photos on a bike, rather than a car, a little difficult.

You can find lots of other of my client photos from the Ebro on my Facebook page but here's one cracking gallery (although small photos unfortunately) from July 2011:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.235159966506309.63602.199405906748382&type=3

and this one from May 2010 shows many typical Ebro breeding birds:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.218486994840273.60076.199405906748382&type=3

Feel free to email me with a wish list but I won't be able to respond properly until after the Spring season as I have tours most days (and sleep between!).

All the best

Thanks for that, I usually walk quite long distances when abroad and the bike idea was to make it easier to carry water, six litres wasn't enough when I did the saltpans around Faro a couple of years back! My knee is packing in as well so I may be in touch before we go.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back