• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

FZ38 vs TZ7/8/10 (1 Viewer)

JCL

All

I am a DSLR and (Canon) L lens user but now in need of a complementary point & shoot camera for various reasons.

Essential feature-wants are: minimum 300 mm focal length (for the odd bird record shot), good macro (for insects), slim build/portability (for my wife's handbag). Desirable feature would be usability for digiscoping/digibinning (for bird record shots).

I'm keen on exploring the above two Panasonic ranges. Can anyone advise on how they match up to the above criteria - and which one wins out?

thanks

James

I think you are probably out of luck. With the disclaimer that I have not followed absolutely everything that has happened lately, I have no knowledge of any camera ever zooming to past 300 mm equivalent that was also useful for digiscoping.

I have the fz18, older model similar to the fz38. It is not truly slim build, it fits better in a belt pouch than in a ladies bag. Now if your wife carries a rucksack, then it will be absolutely fine. Other than that, I would recommend this line of cameras for usability and somewhat decent IQ. If you need to look for something that fits in a ladies bag, I would go to Canon's latest G-series camera, which can be used for digiscoping (somewhat) and is an excellent all round camera (including macro, which is what my wife does mostly with hers) but without the reach you wanted.

Niels

James,

I have the FZ35/FZ38 and the older TZ5 which I believe is about the same size as the current TZ8 and TZ10. Regarding digiscoping, I just read a thread at the Yahoo Digiscoping forum in which someone had reported having some luck with both the FZ38 and the TZ10 - he was actually very positive with the TZ10 but said the FZ38 would work. I didn't think the TZ5 was useful for birds, not enough reach and the viewfinder is hard to see in sunlight. I don't think the TZ8/10's slightly better reach (300 vs 280) would make that much difference. But the TZ10 is tiny and pocketable and the FZ35 is a lump. If your main purpose for the camera would be scenics, landscapes and so forth, maybe the TZ10 would be best, but if you really want it for birds, the FZ35 is a much better choice. They are both nice cameras for different purposes.

Last edited:
I'd agree with the Canon G series recommendation, think its up to G11 now?

I have the G9 and its an excellent pocket camera, and I got it for many of the reasons you mention. its as close to a DSLR as you can get in a compact, lots of nice features. Do note though, if you take RAW on it you need a recent version of photoshop, capture one or similar as the format of the images if different, and I cant (yet!) open my raw images through my old programmes.

While you wont get 300mm for it, you can get some teleconverters (1.5 for sure, maybe a 2?) for it which would obviosuly help, though have not tried this, and think they are £100-150

One thing I forgot to mention: if you do go to 300mm or longer, don't do so without some kind of viewfinder, it is difficult to use the LCD for framing with that type of reach.

Niels

All useful advice, thanks. I've opted to buy my wife the Canon S90, which I'll also nab for digiscoping. And I'll probably go for a FZ38 as my quasi-birding walkabout when carrying pram.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back