• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newibe post re Cassin's Finch (1 Viewer)

jeeper

Newbe post re Cassin's Finch

After reading another thread I've discovered that the Cassin's Finch may be one of our feeder visitors. Strange that before the last year I don't think I've ever seen one here before. I was wondering if someone could posibly tell me a little about their range. I'm in Northern Louisiana riverbottom with farms clossest to my edge of town home and pine timber not far away.

I would post pic but so far I do not have one thats good enough to post here. Could someone also maybe tell me if there are any others for me to look up that may be close to Cassin's Finch other than Purple Finch. The reds on the questioned bird are on the red orange side. The only thing which makes me wonder looking at the database pics of Cassin's Finch is that the female there does not exhibit any red markings while what I think is female here shows some smaller red markings.

Please excuse my lack of good scientific description of markings because I'm green at descripitions anatomicaly.

Last edited:
Hi, Jeeper! A warm welcome to you from all of us on staff here at BirdForum!

I'll bet what you have there are House Finches. The younger males will have only slight tinges of color on them, and as adults the color can range everywhere from yellow to deep red, including orange and, in a couple of instances where I am, even neon/atomic persimmon coloring. ;) House Finches are ubiquitous throughout the US.

As Bob said, Cassin's has never been seen that far east, so if you're sure it's not a Purple Finch, I'd bet on House. :t:

I think you nailed it.

I will have to try to get some better photos of what appears to be the house finch as shown in the database. Like I said in my initial post I have not seen this bird until say the last year in my area.

My photography of this bird has been restricted to shots taken through a bad window and screen. It appears to like only our feeder right outside the kitchen window and none of our others here and that makes photography hard so far. Should I get the screen off and window clean with no glare it would be a closeup shot the feeder is two feet outside the window here. It may however be next winter because it's almost time for the hummers return and that's their feeder post and I can't wait I have a new digital SLR that uses my lens selection from my 35mm.

Checked my Peterson's Eastern and found perhaps why it's new to me. Natural range was western and it was introduced on the East Coast. Looks like he's made Louisiana home now.

BTW thanks a lot for answer. I guess this board and that bird will make a birder of me yet.

Last edited:
Look forward to hearing about your hummers! I can't wait 'til mine arrive, which could be any day now, especially with next week being in the low-mid 60s. Hmmm, now where'd I store the feeders......... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back