• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

vietnam poser (1 Viewer)

amh2029

Hi,
Any suggestions on this bird in Sapa, Vietnam? Seen in rock pool at base of waterfall; all grey but clear white patch at top of long bobbing tail; flitting up to tree then back to pool. Can't id it from Robson's book on birds of S.E.Asia.

Cheers,
Andrew

sounds like a forktail spp.. slaty backed or white crowned, but if it was all grey it could be a juv of either species-it all depends on the other plumage details

The behaviour sounds like a forktail..

Possiblities include Slaty-backed Forktail;
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...esult&Bird_ID=2547&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Little Forktail (the waterfall at Sapa is a well-known spot for this bird)
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...esult&Bird_ID=2593&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Like Iain mentions, it could well be an immature. Immature Forktails tend to be heavily spotted on the breast if you noticed this?

How was Sapa? Hopefully you saw plenty of nice species. I was there last year, great place to kick back (especially after climbing Fan-Si-Pan!) with some good birds.

could you ID the bird on general shape through robsons book of SE asia -this book is ok for the id of the forktails-from what i can remember of trying the same thing . can you narrow it down at all? The options as mentioned are forktails and wagtails. other species likely to be seen at waterfalls around that area are either unlikely to have bobbing tails or unlikely to have long tails.

what was the size of the bird? and how long was it's tail in relation to its body length?

as James says the young forktails are likely to be spotty, but this can be hard to see, especially if they are wet...and the adult birds are striking and would have more white patches than just above the tail.

anyway with a bit more info and a look in Robson for the shape and size, should narrow it down for you.

amh2029 said:
Hi,
Any suggestions on this bird in Sapa, Vietnam? Seen in rock pool at base of waterfall; all grey but clear white patch at top of long bobbing tail; flitting up to tree then back to pool. Can't id it from Robson's book on birds of S.E.Asia.

Cheers,
Andrew
Let me add a new species to the list. Female Plumbeous Water Redstart seems likely based on description and specially based on the bird flitting up to a tree. In my opinion, forktails do not usually perch in trees but Plumbeous does.
An image at:
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...D=2604&Bird_Image_ID=9348&Bird_Family_ID=&p=8
Cheers!
Sumit

I'm fairly sure Sumit is correct here, I completely forgot about Plumbeous Redstart! A bird that lives along watercourses, flick its talk continuely. Maybe you saw the male nearby too? They live in pairs and are strongly territorial.

Spot on Sumit, many thanks for the tip!

And thanks to everyone else for their help. I have just returned from three days in Cuc Phuong National Park, where, amazingly, there was just me and my guide (for anyone planning to go there, I definitely recommend getting there sunday afternoon after the weekenders have gone home). Well, my eyeballs pretty much fell into my binoculars - sultan tit, pied falconet (a first for the park - modesty prevents me from saying who spotted it first, ahem!), white throated kingfisher. Just amazing!

I'm off to cambodia for three weeks starting early january - any suggestions on where to go?

Cheers, and happy new year!
andrew

iainhawk said:
ahh. yes i forgot about that one too...that is why this forum is great- keeps you thinking!

amh2029 said:
Well, my eyeballs pretty much fell into my binoculars - sultan tit, pied falconet (a first for the park - modesty prevents me from saying who spotted it first, ahem!), white throated kingfisher. Just amazing!

I'm off to cambodia for three weeks starting early january - any suggestions on where to go?

Cheers, and happy new year!
andrew

Hi Andrew,

Cuc Phuong is a fantastic reserve, the trees can appear to be dripping with birds at times! One of my favourite national parks within the Orient.

Regarding Cambodia, you are there at the beginning of the peak season for birders, I can offer you a few tips on where to go, e-mail me if you require any further info. A must is to read Frank Rheindts trip report, see link;

http://www.worldtwitch.com/cambodia-birding-rheindt.htm

I assume coming from Vietnam you will be arriving at Phnom Penh first. Try to get to Bokor NP first, an old hill station with some interesting birds, including a Cambodian near endemic, Chestnut-headed Parridge, among other birds (4 days), then to Kratie, along the Mekong, for another near endemic, Mekong Wagtail and the chance to see the endangered Irrawaddy River Dolphin (2 days). It is worth you getting in contact with WCS (Wildlife Conservation Society), who are very active within Cambodia, and it is them whom you need to contact to see Cambodias national bird, Giant Ibis. They are based in Phnom Penh (e-mail me for names and addresses).

From Phnom Penh head northwest to Kompong Thom, to see Bengal Florican and Manchurian Reed Warbler you will need a WCS guide to show you the area. Preah Vihear province next for both Giant & White-shouldered Ibis (5 days). The forest here is quite unique in being very open, and offeres you chance of seeing double figures of woodpecker species, among an array of other specis unlikely to be seen on the rest of your journey.
Siem Reap would be next, the waterbird sanctuary of Prek Toel is a worthwhile excursion, along with Ang Trapeang Thmor for Sarus Cranes.
Then relax and explore the wonderful Angkor Wat.

Enjoy the country, some fantastic birding to be had.

James

Thanks for the info James - looking forward to adding a few more world lifers during my stay.

andrew

James Eaton said:
Hi Andrew,

Cuc Phuong is a fantastic reserve, the trees can appear to be dripping with birds at times! One of my favourite national parks within the Orient.

Regarding Cambodia, you are there at the beginning of the peak season for birders, I can offer you a few tips on where to go, e-mail me if you require any further info. A must is to read Frank Rheindts trip report, see link;

http://www.worldtwitch.com/cambodia-birding-rheindt.htm

I assume coming from Vietnam you will be arriving at Phnom Penh first. Try to get to Bokor NP first, an old hill station with some interesting birds, including a Cambodian near endemic, Chestnut-headed Parridge, among other birds (4 days), then to Kratie, along the Mekong, for another near endemic, Mekong Wagtail and the chance to see the endangered Irrawaddy River Dolphin (2 days). It is worth you getting in contact with WCS (Wildlife Conservation Society), who are very active within Cambodia, and it is them whom you need to contact to see Cambodias national bird, Giant Ibis. They are based in Phnom Penh (e-mail me for names and addresses).

From Phnom Penh head northwest to Kompong Thom, to see Bengal Florican and Manchurian Reed Warbler you will need a WCS guide to show you the area. Preah Vihear province next for both Giant & White-shouldered Ibis (5 days). The forest here is quite unique in being very open, and offeres you chance of seeing double figures of woodpecker species, among an array of other specis unlikely to be seen on the rest of your journey.
Siem Reap would be next, the waterbird sanctuary of Prek Toel is a worthwhile excursion, along with Ang Trapeang Thmor for Sarus Cranes.
Then relax and explore the wonderful Angkor Wat.

Enjoy the country, some fantastic birding to be had.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back