• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Moors Pool 9.00am to 2.00pm

Although the air temperature was around 3 degs. the wind chill was such that the only place to watch from, without eyeballs freezing over, was the east hide.

Duck numbers appeared to be similar to yesterday.
10 / 15 Snipe were feeding in the grass on the east side of the seasonal pool.
Common Gull on main island briefly mid morning.
Despite the artic conditions 2 pairs of GCG's were in the early stages of nest building and display.
Water Rails were very active in front of new hide with possibly 4 / 5 birds in the channels.

Attachments

• 7D_008514.jpg
    7D_008514.jpg
    309.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 7D_008534.jpg
    7D_008534.jpg
    314.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 7D_008550.jpg
    7D_008550.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 100
  • 7D_008574.jpg
    7D_008574.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 85
Out of interest, when I drove past the Moors on the A38 this evening the regular Kestrel was hovering 10 feet over the kerb to the left and dropping down to catch something to the extent I had to swerve to avoid it. As did cars behind me. It must be desperate.

What we need is a plague of rodents ...

Saw a barn owl hunting mid afternoon last week. Few weeks before, during another cold spell, one was seen midday in a local park.

It has been desperate. Throughout this winter have had at least a dozen blackbirds daily in the garden; max count 15. No other thrushes though.
3 robins together on the bird table yesterday 6 or 7 stock doves most days.
Not sure whether I saw this properly but a couple of times last week saw a goldcrest on the bird table and also on the ground eating biscuit crumbs.

Out of interest, when I drove past the Moors on the A38 this evening the regular Kestrel was hovering 10 feet over the kerb to the left and dropping down to catch something to the extent I had to swerve to avoid it. As did cars behind me. It must be desperate.

FAO Peter E

If you are interested, will be meeting the park ranger tomorrow at Sarehole Mill at 11am. We'll be having a walk along the river. Sorry if it sounds vague but I think you'll know what I'm on about.

Paul

FAO Peter E

If you are interested, will be meeting the park ranger tomorrow at Sarehole Mill at 11am. We'll be having a walk along the river. Sorry if it sounds vague but I think you'll know what I'm on about.

Paul

This isnt a dogging site Paul 8-P;) You could have chosen a less obvious anagram :eek!:

Last edited:
FAO Peter E

Paul

Why don't you send Peter E a PM, :t: as you are teasing us and we are all now intrigued.

Buzzard or Marsh Harrier?

Saw this bird over the flashes this afternoon. It was behaving like a Marsh Harrier but looked to me more like a Buzzard?

Attachments

• _A011394.jpg
    _A011394.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 198
I've just read that the Hawk and Owl Trust are requesting that Marsh Harriers bearing lime green wing-tags are reported as their movements are being monitored. Apparently, these are birds bred in Norfolk. I'll post a link tomorrow.

Thanks for linking those Phil - I was viewing via my mobile last night.

Saw this bird over the flashes this afternoon. It was behaving like a Marsh Harrier but looked to me more like a Buzzard?

Kingfisherajh,

I would urge you to report this via the above links - it would provide very good info re the migration route of this bird - if it was seen at Upton Warren then it is around 200km west-south-west of its natal site.

From the Causeway between the 2 Moors pools yesterday, around 12.15 looking south over the main Moors pool I picked up an interesting raptor. Unfortunately it was wholly silhouetted but the shape and general jizz made me fairly confident it was not a Buzzard, more Harrier like, a large bird but narrower winged and longer tailed, not forked.
It drifted off south, soaring to quite a height...As I said, it was completely in silhouette, unfortunately there was a bit of sun about, and I was looking pretty much into it..had to let it go

Last edited:
From the Causeway between the 2 Moors pools yesterday, around 12.15 looking south over the main Moors pool I picked up an interesting raptor. Unfortunately it was wholly silhouetted but the shape and general jizz made me fairly confident it was not a Buzzard, more Harrier like, a large bird but narrower winged and longer tailed, not forked.
It drifted off south, soaring to quite a height...As I said, it was completely in silhouette, unfortunately there was a bit of sun about, and I was looking pretty much into it..had to let it go

Thanks Mark

Kingfisherajh (Andrew) - what time was your sighting?

I received a sightings submission form late last night from Pete & Marjo Lewis re: the Marsh Harrier (which I picked up this morning). From their observations they presumed the bird is a 2nd sum.male and it was over and in the reeds between the 2nd and 3rd flashes mid-afternoon yesterday. The dark green wing tag has a gold number 7 on left wing only.

Brian

As this bird has a single yellow number this rules out the new Norfolk schemes that use 2 letters or number with black or white writing, I would guess this bird has lost a wing tag but I can't match it up with any of the projects on the cr birding website or by googling, looks like a bit of a mystery for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back