• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (41 Viewers)

My 1st live outside broadcast from upton. Avocet 26 ads and 34 chicks. Also 2st sum Med showing well. Bob O had red kite earlier at sailing pool. We managed to see it from the Moors.
at the flashes 4 shelduck droppef in and the 5 were still at flashed. At flashes 3 lapwing and 4 oystercatcher chicks. Plus 2 single GCG chicks and 2little grebe chicks.
Other highlights LRP 6. Redshank 2 . Flashes
at Moors 12 common tern and peregrine

My 1st live outside broadcast from upton. Avocet 26 ads and 34 chicks. Also 2st sum Med showing well. Bob O had red kite earlier at sailing pool. We managed to see it from the Moors.
at the flashes 4 shelduck droppef in and the 5 were still at flashed. At flashes 3 lapwing and 4 oystercatcher chicks. Plus 2 single GCG chicks and 2little grebe chicks.

Predictive text is a pain aye john first summer med

Good to see that there are still 34 Avo chicks.

Des.

Sedge Warbler

After last years poor showing, due to adverse weather during their migration. This year was looking much better during early spring. However as the reed warblers began to appear the sedge numbers declined. I know many species go quiet at times during their breeding season, but this year numbers are definitely quite low.
When visiting the reserve, could you note any singing birds and put in the log book and or post on here. It could be that its ideal habitat (this being slightly dryer marshy areas, than for reed warblers), is getting wetter. There has been an increase in reed warblers as a result of the overall 'wetter' peripheral habitat. The more aggressive reed warbler will also oust any sedge from reedy and marginal habitat. So all in all the cards are stacked against the sedge. If we highlight the present areas, we can ensure that they don't get too overgrown.
At present there are birds at the Moors
1. on the shore opposite the east gate
2. North west corner of the North Moors
3. in front of the west hide
Also today there was 1 in the scrub at the north end of the car park.
The birds are normally found along the west side in the 'sedge' and sluice basin. There are also usually birds along the causeway and in front of the east hide and east track. The north moors has had them along the east side and west side of the pool.
At the Flashes
There has been a bird singing at the west end of the hen pool in scrub, but it has been absent over the last few weeks.
A bird has been singing around the back of the feeding station.
Normally birds would be singing along much of the path to the new hide. Also in the sedge south of the new hide. Annually birds sang in reeds between the 3rd flash and sewage works. Also along the north side of the 1st Flash and in the main reed bed. At present I can only find 5 possibly 6 territories on the whole reserve. This is way down on two years ago. I must admit I have not done a breeding survey this year, but casual observations would normally reveal more birds, than there are at present.B :)John

Last edited:
few snaps from today

Med Gull 1st summer x2 record shots

Redshank x2

Sedge Warbler

Attachments

• med 1.jpg
    med 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 113
  • med 2.jpg
    med 2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 105
  • rs1.jpg
    rs1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 92
  • rs 2.jpg
    rs 2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 92
  • sedgeIMG_3168.jpg
    sedgeIMG_3168.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 143
SIXTY avocets at The Warren. Just mull over that number for awhile. SIXTY!!!! Who'd have thought we'd have that many 10 years later when they arrived 10 years ago?

Eleven... otherwise my logo for the BBF is meaningless!
That's the nice thing about 2003 being the first breeding year and the inaugural Bromsgrove Beer Festival. It means that (assuming the Avocet breeding programme continues), any year that R&B CAMRA are short of ideas for a logo I can wheel out the Avocet story again!

Last edited:
Eleven... otherwise my logo for the BBF is meaningless!
That's the nice thing about 2003 being the first breeding year and the inaugural Bromsgrove Beer Festival. It means that (assuming the Avocet breeding programme continues), any year that R&B CAMRA are short of ideas for a logo I can wheel out the Avocet story again!

Sy you are both right. 10 years ago 2003 this is the 11th breeding year inclusive of this year.B :)John

John

Thanks, it's just another example of making statistics fit the bill (no pun intended, but Ambidge [ex Wyre Piddle] Brewery are rumoured to be serving up a "Recurvirostra Ale")!

Full list of the day from mine and others sightings (Spoonbill finder, Bob O, AH46, Terry N, Vern, Phil W, peter E)

Moors: GCG 9 plus 2 well grown chicks, little grebe 2 poss 3 ads + 2 juvs (1 ad on east side all other birds on Broadmeadow pool), cormorant, mute swan p + 5 ch, tufted 25+, shelduck 4 migrants dropped in, mallard several more broods appeaing, coot 12 broods at least, moorhen 3 or 4 broods, water rail along west side. Oystercatcher 4 ads + 4 chicks (3:1), lapwing pr + 3 chicks (9 days old), common tern 12 ( 5 poss 6 sitting - 1 in west raft), Med Gull 1st summer, herring gull ad, LBBG 5, BHG 120 ads, 80 + chicks, peregrine, kestrel, red kite seen from Moors flying off south towards Droitwich, kingfisher, Swift 50+, sand martin 5, swallow 2, house martin 20, cettis singing, reed warbler 10+, sedge warbler 2, whitethroat by east gate, blackcap 2 singing, chiffchaff 2 singing, song thrush singing,

Flashes: GCG on 1st Flash, Greylag 11, shelduck 5 (9 on reserve), teal male, gadwall 3 (2 fems 1 male), Mallard 4 broods, tufted 15, avocet 26 ads + 34 chicks, Oystercatcher 2, LRP 6, redshank 2, BHG 220 chicks (approx 300 on reserve), Med Gull same as moors, coot 8 - 10, Little owl, stock dove 5, swift 10, swallow 2, skylark, whitethroat 1 south of main hide + 1 car park, chiffchaff, reed warbler 5 hen pool, linnet 3,

pic of Med on pool island from east hide

Attachments

• med DSCF7530 (2).JPG
    med DSCF7530 (2).JPG
    303.4 KB · Views: 101
Today's Med Gull

The 1st summer Med Gull, which was present across the reserve through the morning and early afternoon, had a silver ring attached to its right leg. I tried to read the numbers on it, when the bird was perched on one of the posts between the first and second flashes, but due to the distance involved was unable to come up with anything conclusive. The last 3 numbers appeared to be 759: the ring containing 5 or 6 numbers in all (either 325759, 323759, 25759 or 23759).

Whilst searching the sky for raptors (I missed the Red Kite|=(|) I picked up a Skylark in typical song flight action, watching it until it dropped down rapidly towards the crop field at Hobden Hall Farm. I believe this may be a new bird for the month.:t:

The 1st summer Med Gull, which was present across the reserve through the morning and early afternoon, had a silver ring attached to its right leg. I tried to read the numbers on it, when the bird was perched on one of the posts between the first and second flashes, but due to the distance involved was unable to come up with anything conclusive. The last 3 numbers appeared to be 759: the ring containing 5 or 6 numbers in all (either 325759, 323759, 25759 or 23759).

Whilst searching the sky for raptors (I missed the Red Kite|=(|) I picked up a Skylark in typical song flight action, watching it until it dropped down rapidly towards the crop field at Hobden Hall Farm. I believe this may be a new bird for the month.:t:

It certainly is; anyone connected with Lesser Whitethroat, Garden Warbler or Willow Warbler this month?

I believe this is a different first summer to the one present on Saturday which didnt appear to have a ring and the hood was much less dark and more flecked in appearance. I cant find any ringing schemes using just one silver / grey ring; along with the ringed Common Tern another one to look for to get a bit more detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back