• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three this time (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

Sorry about the quality... I have no scanner right now and these are from prints. Its all adds to the difficulty factor. To quote a local colloquialism, if anyone gets all these right first time I will show my arse in Woollies window!

The first two are local, the third is in Spain.

Just you wait till I get a scanner... I have hundreds of mystery photos and about 4 good ones!

Attachments

• m1.JPG
    m1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 205
  • m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 175
  • m3.JPG
    m3.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 199
Could the third picture be a Collared Pratincole by any chance? I do not have much evidence supporting my guess, but when I first saw the picture, that is what I thought of.

I'll be very surprised if it is one.

Michael

Well they say fools rush in where angels fear to tread, so here are my three wild guesses:

1) Icterine Warbler
2) Ring-billed Gull (2nd winter)
3) Common Prat

Jason

Second pic I´d go for Ringbilled gull, the third one is cleary something I did not see previously, pratincole maybe?
First one a Hippolais species??

That is what came to my mind sitting at work, having no literature around for confirmation...
But I am really curious to know what they are!!!

I hav to admit I couldn't ID the third one from the pic...if it wasn't bracketed between two other shots of the same bird. One species has been named correctly by someone and the other two have two lose guesses.

I can post a sharper pic of bird 1 if you like, I just found the slide and have worked out a way of digitising them.

The second one is Common Gull - if it was a Ring-billed there would be a huge band on the tail. Come to think of it, there should be some black on it in 2nd year Common Gull!!

The first one I'm still looking at

Darrell

Looks like no one gets to see my arse in Woolies window anyway..... still have CJW and MF to hav a go of course.

Are these fun? I have about 4000 slides, the majority of which are just bad photos like these. Some make great mystery photos, its all they are really good for.

On retrospect I would say Darrell is probably right with Common Gull; another thing that goes in that direction is the shape of the bill, fits better for common gull. I think i was too fast there.

With the third pic, Fifebirder may have hit it; I do not see anything that would rule out Blackshouldered Kite: I was thinking pratincole but the shape of the tail surely fits better with the Kite. Seing the third pic i was thinking of a darker bird but as it is photographed against the sky...

First one I think is Olivaceous Warbler, if only 'cos of the head shape and lack of any significant yellow tones. Second is Common Gull, and third has me stumped. I know its not Red-necked Nightjar - (V shaped tail!) but I can't assign it to any other family. I had thought of vagrant Common Nighthawk but where are the white patches?

Darrell

In view of the threat in the first post . . .

1. Red-breasted Goose
2. Calliope Hummingbird
3. King Penguin

I just want to be absolutely certain that I don't get them all right first time . . .

Michael

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back