• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fat Falco Ate All The Vole Pies!! (1 Viewer)

Steve G

RAINBIRDER
I don't know if this year will be a Vole year but along a south-facing hillside in an excellent birding Glen ( not far from the "Raptor Wars" site) 5 Kestrels & 4 Buzzards were hanging on the updrafts hunting Voles. The birds were viewed from an adjacent road & one of the Kestrels was repeatedly watched catching Voles. After about 20 minutes hunting she appeared stuffed & indeed her last Vole of the afternoon was dropped from about 15 metres only to be retrieved before it hit the ground. The voluptuous Vole catcher then drifted down across the road & I was able to snatch a quick image as the rodent-ravenous raptor lumbered by. ;)

Attachments

• Fat-Kestrel.jpg
    Fat-Kestrel.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 234
Great shot. Presumably off to get some indigestion tablets.

Reminds me that at Elmley in Kent (pre digicam so no photos) I saw a Kestrel devour a snake - swallowing it like a a piece of spaghetti. It then sat on the ground for 10 minutes before lumbering off into the air about 10 yards onto a post - it was all it could do to make it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back