• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars Rec -- Lightweight for ~$200 (1 Viewer)

Thanks Caesar. I know I will take a big hit in terms of the optics, but saving on weight and size is essential. I might up the price range to say $300. What's your best rec?

To bad you can't afford a Swarovski 8x25 CLPocket. That would solve your dilemma.;)

Can you live with the Opticron 6x32 Traveller and squeeze out $370.00? It only weighs 13 ounces and has real long eye relief, a very wide FOV and the best low light capacity with it's 5mm+ exit pupil.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/opticron/opticron-traveller-bga-mg-6x32-binocular

Those will be the best compromise you can get. There is also an 8x32 version with a much narrower FOV and a 10x32 with a very narrow FOV.

Alternatively I have a Pentax 9x28 DCF LV costing less than $200.00 which I gave to my son when he was an exchange student in Valparaiso, Chile. He backpacked all over Northern Chile and the Machu Picchu region of Peru and than back through Bolivia and the Lake Titicaca region and beat them up pretty good and they kept on working. They even fell into the aforesaid lake. And he did see a Condor with it. But you will have to compromise a bit here because they have a narrow FOV and astigmatic edges although they have long eye relief and are easy to use. They don't have objective covers either but they fit in a shirt pocket.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/pentax/pentax-dcf-lv-9x28-roof-prism-binocular

Overall it has some good customer reviews from hikers and kayakers in the above link.

Bob

Last edited:
No question the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's are a great option for you.

If you need lighter and smaller, then look at the Vortex Viper 8x28's. They are very small and light, but still a great optic.

Lots of excellent recommendations.
I would consider 25mm to be a real compact lightweight binoc. though.
Hikers I know are pretty obsessed with keeping weight down, and things can get bumpy.
I would probably pack the Nikon Prostaff 8x25 if things were tough,
a Bushnell Legend HD 10x25 otherwise (due to the big distances).
And...between the two, sort of, an Opticron.

I see so many great things at the bhphotovideo in 25mm. though.
Going to 30mm is helpful, but the weight does jump a lot..at that price range, anyway.

I have the Opticron 10x25 T3. It isn't super-pricey, but it's a joy to use, sharp and saturated.
For me, at least, they work great with glasses...that's not common at 25mm objective size
(so check the eye relief)
And.....11 ounces! Hiking hills....30mm or 30mm. Mountains, this in a freezer bag.
They have a pricier 25mm still under $200. Very nice.

For low light, 7x25, but you would need to go back in history for that.

I keep forgetting: Nitrogen purge is nice, but the gasses equalize with the
atmosphere in a couple years. Only metal-glass joints don't diffuse.
The low-E window people learned that. So....meh.

Last edited:
I'd suggest you take a look at Opticron Discovery 8x32---I believe it's one of the lightest 8x32s. There is also Opticron Traveler 8x32, which I think it's even smaller/lighter than the Discovery. But if you could accept 17oz, then I think Pentax DCF 9x32 would be a good choice (kind of a clone of the Sightron but with better ergonomics)///Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back