• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rainham Marsh in Spring (1 Viewer)

mcali

I spent a couple of hours at Rainham Marsh yesterday. Migrants were out in force with several Swallows and plenty of warblers. Ciffchaffs and Blackcaps were conspicious, but I also had the best views I have ever had of Cetti's warbler. I often hear them but rarely see them at Rainham, but yesterday, after waiting about 10 minutes at a spot where I had head one, it pearched out in the open right in front of me. I am hoping to find the Grasshopper warblers here later in the spring, but I don't think they are back yet.

Attachments

• Blackcap_vs.jpg
    Blackcap_vs.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Meadow_vs.jpg
    Meadow_vs.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Cetti's1_vs.jpg
    Cetti's1_vs.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Cetti's3_vs.jpg
    Cetti's3_vs.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 83
Good job!

I was there yesterday too. I was hoping to see a Cetti's but no luck, don't think I even heard one.

Missed the Spotted Redshank too. I'm rubbish!

Great tea and cakes though!

Ahh, my local patch when I'm at home... May I recommend the bacon butties in the centre!

Not been there since christmas, how are they coming along with the new boardwalk down the main path after the (walking anti clockwise round the site) woodland area?

Had some good ones there last year, my first hobbys, spoonbill several times, wood and curlew sand, plenty green sands... Good place for a walk.

Ahh, my local patch when I'm at home... May I recommend the bacon butties in the centre!

Not been there since christmas, how are they coming along with the new boardwalk down the main path after the (walking anti clockwise round the site) woodland area?

Had some good ones there last year, my first hobbys, spoonbill several times, wood and curlew sand, plenty green sands... Good place for a walk.

Not sure exactly where you mean but in places it is still a building site.

The notices say the reed bed education area should be finished in April but they will have to get a move on if they are going to achieve it. Not good to have construction during the breeding season is it not?

The boardwalk is certainly progressing. They seem to have sacrificed a lot of reeds but I guess they will quickly grow back. I did wonder whether it will still be possible to walk down the existing track once the boardwalk is finished, or if they plan to the raise the water level of the pools so it covers the track. The view over the pools from the boardwalk wont be as good.

The boardwalk is certainly progressing. They seem to have sacrificed a lot of reeds but I guess they will quickly grow back. I did wonder whether it will still be possible to walk down the existing track once the boardwalk is finished, or if they plan to the raise the water level of the pools so it covers the track. The view over the pools from the boardwalk wont be as good.

Thats what I'm worried about. The main track offers some great views, the hide isn't often worth a look outside winter. Still, I assume (read 'hope') they know what they're doing. Perhaps they'll shove in a two storey hide somewhere on the site, I've heard rumours of that for a year or so...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back