• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

shells (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I keep finding these by a local stream. At first I thought someone must have been eating sea-food and chucking away the shells but I've seen them regularly for a couple of years so I guess they must be some sort of fresh-water creature? They measure about 7 cms long.
Anyone know exactly what they are?
Ken

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 144
  • shell inside.jpg
    shell inside.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 134
I think thats a common river mussel [fresh water mussel]-unio tumidus

see a lot of these in the norfolk broads

matt

Surreybirder said:
Thanks, Matt. I wonder what eats them. Herons? mink?

I think otters have a soft spot for them!

I did her a story about rats swimming down to the river bed,bringing them to the surface and eating them on the river bank?,can't see it myself.

matt

matt green said:
I think otters have a soft spot for them!

I did her a story about rats swimming down to the river bed,bringing them to the surface and eating them on the river bank?,can't see it myself.

matt

Otters are thin on the ground in Surrey! But we've got plenty of rats.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back