• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tern Id--Rio Lagartos, Mexico (1 Viewer)

screech-owl

I saw this tern in Rio Lagartos Mexico. It had a dark back and a gray collar that extended partway around the neck.

Here are some photos (taken by Dave Husic):

Attachments

• IMGP6872.jpg
    IMGP6872.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMGP6874.jpg
    IMGP6874.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 122
From Howell and Webb, re black tern: small numbers may oversummer along pacific coast (jun - jul), and they also state that southward migration starts during July.

I agree this could be a non-breeding plumage black tern (I am not saying it is for certain)

Niels

Would there be Black Terns in Mexico in July? There was a pair of them.

Yes. In addition to Neil's comments, my Peterson guide to Mexican birds indicates they would be present in migration along both coasts. And they migrate early beginning in July.

I assume you were hoping for something more exotic -- sorry.

Best,
Jim

Indeed a Black Tern probably a first sunmmer bird - of N. American race surinamensis.

JanJ

Just to clarify, do you mean hatch year, or the first summer following hatch year when you say first summer?

Niels

Hi Niels.

Yes I mean first summer - that is to say 2nd calendar year, after hatch year, which is 1st cy.

JanJ

FYI: For those who have Sibley's, page 22 lists the basic terminology for the life year, calendar year, and Humphrey-Parkes molt cycle terminologies. "Juvenile" or "juvenal plumage" would be the terminology for the life year and Humphrey-Parkes systems for the summer in which the bird hatched.

Best,
Jim

Thanks. I have always found the term first summer rather vague, especially in the tropics where the bird can easily be born in spring. I cannot put my hand on it right now, but I am sure I somewhere have seen someone use the term differently. Several years back, there was a strong push in Denmark to use the 1c, 2c, (first calendar year = hatch year, second calendar year, etc), designations.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back