• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How is your 2011 List Going? (1 Viewer)

Picked up a few more new birds for 2011 while birding around my local patch (oxbow lakes region just south of Saint Joseph, Missouri).

197. Ruddy Turnstone
198. White-rumped Sandpiper
199. Upland Sandpiper
200. Northern Bobwhite (better late than never!)
201. Baltimore Oriole
202. Eastern Wood-Pewee
203. Willow Flycatcher
204. Western Kingbird

No new year US birds for me lately but my first trip of 2011 to Mexico produced 40+ species including several lifers. Best sightings were several of Russet-crowned Motmots (photo on my blog.) I think I should start a Mexico list one of these days.

We're heading for High Island this weekend and many see some new birds there. I'm not very optimistic, though, because migration is almost over and southerly winds are still causing most migrants to overfly the Texas coast.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

I added two more year birds for Missouri this morning while walking along a bike/hike trail in the northwest part of town (Saint Joseph).

205. Yellow-throated Warbler
206. Broad-winged Hawk

Just got back from visiting relatives in West Virginia, where I added nine birds to my Year List, which is now up to 463.

455. Black-throated Blue Warbler
456. Blackpoll Warbler
457. Worm-eating Warbler
458. Wood Thrush
459. Chestnut-sided Warbler
460. Cape May Warbler
461. Swainson's Thrush
462. Magnolia Warbler
463. Bobolink

All the warblers are possible here in Indiana, but can be very difficult to find (except for the Magnolia and Worm-eating, which are common here). The Black-throated Blue is especially rare here (I've only seen one in Indiana in nine years). However, they were all common and easy to see in West Virginia.

Dave

Four new birds today bring my Year List up to 467.

464. Acadian Flycatcher
465. Yellow-breasted Chat
466. Bell's Vireo
467. Dickcissel

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Wood Thrush and Worm-eating Warbler to my Indiana year list, which is at 190.

Dave

Two new year birds this morning, so I'm up to 469 for the year.

468. Blue-headed Vireo
469. Eastern Wood Pewee

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Blackburnian and Cerulean warblers to my ABA year list (which is up to 208), and Swainson's Thrush, Blackburnian, Blackpoll, and Cerulean warblers to my Indiana year list (which is up to 196).

Dave

Our trip to High Island produced some great views of nesting waders but only one new warbler:
237. Blackpoll Warbler.

Anahuac NWR was almost back (after Hurricane Ike) to its most beautiful and produced some nice birds, including:
238. Fulvous Whistling Duck
239. Glossy Ibis
240. Least Bittern
241. King Rail
242. Common Nighthawk
243. Purple Gallinule

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Two more birds for 2011 Missouri List found along northwest parkway biking/walking trail, Saint Joseph, Missouri.

207. Blackpoll Warbler
208. Yellow-billed Cuckoo

This morning produced six new birds for my Year List, which is now up to 475.

470. Least Sandpiper
471. Green Heron
472. Willow Flycatcher
473. Wilson's Warbler
474. Least Flycatcher
475. Blue Grosbeak

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Chestnut-sided Warbler and Magnolia Warbler to my Indiana year list, which is at 204.

Dave

Two new birds today puts my Year List at 477.

476. Sedge Wren
477. Lincoln's Sparrow

In addition to the birds listed above, I added Bobolink to my Indiana year list, which is at 207.

Dave

While driving off of my college campus through a wooded exit, I heard:

157. Black-throated Blue Warbler

Hopefully after this week of finals I can get some real spring birding in.

On Monday, I picked up three new birds and reached 521 for the year. These were Black-headed Antthrush, Great Antshrike, and Peregrine Falcon. The anntthrush was heard near Manuel Brenes Reserve (an underbirded hotspot) and near Lake Arenal. Was hoping to pick up lifer Keel-billed Motmot but no such luck on Monday!

This morning I drove about six hours round-trip to southwest Ohio to chase a Garganey that has been at a small wildlife preserve for the last week or so. I saw my target as well as another bird, so I'm up to 479 for the year.

478. Garganey
479. Semipalmated Plover

The Garganey was an ABA Area lifer, number 633.

Dave

This morning I drove about six hours round-trip to southwest Ohio to chase a Garganey that has been at a small wildlife preserve for the last week or so. I saw my target as well as another bird, so I'm up to 479 for the year.

478. Garganey
479. Semipalmated Plover

The Garganey was an ABA Area lifer, number 633.

Dave

Nice chase!

A bit of birding on the Katy Prairie before work yesterday produced:
244. Hudsonian Godwit (lifer)
245. Buff-bellied Sandpiper
246. Stilt Sandpiper

Bobolinks had been seen the previous day yards from where I was birding but I missed out on them. Pity because they're a bird I've been hoping to see for years!

Jeff

A little slow this morning, with only one new bird for the year, so I'm up to 480.

480. Least Bittern

However, I did add Common Gallinule to my ABA Area year list, which is up to 220. The gallinule and Semipalmated Plover were new for my Indiana year list, which is up to 210.

Dave

Last edited:
Quick look at lunchtime turned up:
247. White-rumped Sandpiper
248. Bobolink (lifer).

Two lifers in two days. Gotta love migration season in Texas!

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back