• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

red footed falcon feather ledbury (1 Viewer)

Espen

found this feather today at the site that i saw the ledbury rff on thursday, i assume it is from the undertail covert region of the bird, but i am probably wrong.

the first thing i would like to know is: is it from rff(i am pretty sure it is) and secondly: which bit of the bird is it from

cheers

espen

Attachments

• rff-feather.jpg
    rff-feather.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 80
No replies so I'll chip in for what it's worth! The shape of the feather looks to me like it could be one of the contour feathers off the breast or elsewhere on the underside of the body, or one of the underwing coverts. Could well be from a falcon. The pattern seems more consistent with a falcon underwing covert. Pretty sure RFF don't have undertail coverts or chest feathers marked like this, but it looks similar to what I recall of RFF underwing coverts. But, I've got no ID material with me and right now a mobile internet connection that's too slow to try and find online info.

breast feather of a merlin was the first thing that came to mind

i can see where you are coming from, but this is from the exact spot that i saw a immature female rff(my avatar) which was present a couple of days earlier, it would be a bit of a coisidence if a merlin was also present, as merlin itself would be a good county record!

cheers

Espen

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back