• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (4 Viewers)

If anyone find some Hedgehogs in Baltray that need relocating, I could do with some in my garden to protect out Veg patch?
Our regular hedgehog over the last few years was found dead on the avenue road recently :(

Gareth
Hedgehogs have not been a problem in Baltray so far, but good to know of a potential new home in case we come across any Gareth.

Gerry, Don and myself were priveleged to hear a corncrake near cruisetown beach last night about 10:30pm following a report from a local resident. Bird has apparently been calling since Sunday. It was a cold drizzly night and the bird only called once for about a minute up to 11 or so. Not sure when the last record of a corncrake calling in county louth is?

Gerry, Don and myself were priveleged to hear a corncrake near cruisetown beach last night about 10:30pm following a report from a local resident. Bird has apparently been calling since Sunday. It was a cold drizzly night and the bird only called once for about a minute up to 11 or so. Not sure when the last record of a corncrake calling in county louth is?

I think Cortial Lake in about 1989 (20 years ago)

Amazing my father spoke recently of not having heard the Corncrake for so so many years. I told him about an article in The Irish News recently about reintroducing them onto Rathlin Island I think or somewhere away up Antrim.

I also had a fascinating conversation with a Laboratory Technician in the hospital lab late this evening whilst waiting on results about the increased number of Swallows and small Swifts this year flying around the very Old Doctors quarters boarded up building just beside new lab. I told him I could see dozens of Swallows and juveniles flying in and out of the eaves of old building late evenings and he immediately said that there were lots of small Swifts this year too. I am pleased to have that confirmed as he is obviously a man who know his Swallows and Swifts for certain and told me about his father in Warenpoint showing him the difference between their nests and about the mud they need too (coudnt help thinking about the caked mud along drains and gutters on top of garage that I cleaned away).
I asked him did he think it at all possible that these small Swifts had or would ever begin to nest inside the old building as well as the Swallows. He wasnt sure but knows they are certainly swooping fast along there every evening with the Swallows and interesting to watch that. I couldnt help looking up to see could they enter the old high building and noticed quite a few gaps at top of boarded wood with clearly no longer glass behind long time and thought how nice if Swifts are in there too or at least if some of those hanging around are even considering it. The old chapel was once there too and Swallows were actually named from having hovered over Christ on the cross repeatedly squeking "svala!" ("be comforted!") and I guess that is probably why it is still considered good luck for a Swallow nesting on your property or to fly into your house. Hospitals welcome good luck and I imagine they have a home for a long time to come there as neither reason nor money to knock down old building.

Last edited:
House martins evicted.

A few weeks ago I was delighted to see housemartins returning to the apex of my house and repairing/rebuilding their nest from last year -and a fine job they did of it too.
All was going well and the female had moved in and I presume she was sitting on the eggs. Then something started to happen in the next few days which I thought rather odd! Some house sparrows started to persistently attack the nest and gradually pulled away at it bit by bit untill there was a large section of it removed so they could gain entry, and what seemed to me, they evicted the housemartins and anything else that was in the nest! The housemartins have now dissappeared altogether and are showing no signs of returning which seems a bit unfair!
I should add to this that there are a lot of pairs of sparrows nesting in the very near vacinity.
I suppose I'm just wondering if this practice is common? I'm just a casual birder so wouldn't really know.

We heard and saw one at Nunneryland in Termonfeckin many years ago. It was in my sister's garden and we heard and saw it one foggy night. The fog was at about knee height, so we could see below it. We heard a noise like someone turning the key in an ignition that wouldn't start and when we investigated, we saw the corncrake. As she had a car at that time, it would have been about 14 years ago. Unfortunately we cannot put a more precise date on it.

Kestrel Nesting Sites
If anyone knows of Kestrel nesting sites, the NPWS have a Raptor Study Group who would like to know about them. You can PM me with the info or I can put you in touch with the group.

Recording made on my mobile phone attached.

Attachments

• Louth Corncrake call June 09c.mp3
    463.3 KB · Views: 126
The Kilcoole colony suffered HEAVY losses after the NE blow on the 6th June. Out of 40 nests only 6 survived the waves and there are currently only around 8 still active!!!

Not looking good I'm afraid...

Niall

wasn't the Kilcoole colony pretty much wiped out by a similar storm on around the same date in the late nineties ( 1998 I think ).
Strange how history repeats itself

wasn't the Kilcoole colony pretty much wiped out by a similar storm on around the same date in the late nineties ( 1998 I think ).
Strange how history repeats itself

There have been many heavy losses as a result of storms several times in the past so you may well be right with the year. Unfortunately the frequency & strength of these storms have been increasing over the past few years (climate change?).

A lot can be done to stop disturbance from humans & predation by foxes, corvids, hedgehogs etc. but the wardens are powerless to stop the weather!

Thankfully this years storm hit early enough for most terns to re-lay and when I was last at Kilcoole on Sunday there were 13 chicks hatched so far from 32 nests which is a very good recovery. The great weather we're having at the moment will increase their chances of survival.

All the best,
Niall

Just back from 2 weeks in the Algarve, Southern Portugal.
Got a good few hours birding in despite the extremely high temperatures (mid 30's by day and even worse were the high 20's at night).
Before I left, I put together a "hit list" of birds that I wanted to tick off and am glad to say that I managed to have relatively few dips (rock bunting, nuthatch, a few peckers, little bittern, purple swamphen and surprisingly spoonbill). I did manage at least 15 lifers and at least 30 birds not regular in Ireland, so Collins got a good workout!
Timing is essential in the Algarve, a week or so can have a big bearing on what's about. Time of day counts too, with many birds dissapearing in the hottest part of the day. Also, some birds, notibaly the raptors and turtle dove become quite elusive during the breeding season.
Biggest surprise were 3 Northern Bald Ibis that flew in to Pera Marsh just after sunset one evening. I instantly recognised them and also knew they are an extremely rare bird (on the critically endangered list with less than 500 birds left in the wild). I was very excited at this find, however on getting my hands on an internet connection I learned they were reintroduced into Spain in 2006 and these birds were obviously from this scheme, though this is as far away as they have been recorded.
Biggest upset has to be the loss of c. 250 photos (including some good shots of red legged partridge with newborn chicks, montys harrier, and some hard sought close ups of hoopoes and fan tailed warblers that I set my alarm at 6am for! Having run out of storage, I acquired a new xd card, which still had the photos when I got home. Somehow however, either in transfering to pc??? I lost them all :C :C :C
All and all a good trip and a great spot for birding.

Attachments

• BWStilt Pera June09.jpg
    BWStilt Pera June09.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 56
  • BWStilt Flight Pera June09.jpg
    BWStilt Flight Pera June09.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 49
  • BeeEater June09.jpg
    BeeEater June09.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 56
  • CrestedLark-Pera-June09.jpg
    CrestedLark-Pera-June09.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 57
  • LittleOwl-June09.jpg
    LittleOwl-June09.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 53
A few more! The purple heron is one I dipped on for over a week (large but very secretive bird unlike our grey heron) and then I had a chance flyover one afternoon. Red rumped swallows not as common as I was expecting - had to travel to get them (note black vent area). Kentish plovers often hard to find as they blend in well with the brightly coloured sands.

Attachments

• WoodchatShrike-June09.jpg
    WoodchatShrike-June09.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 57
  • BaldIbis-June09.jpg
    BaldIbis-June09.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 55
  • RedRumpSwallow-June09.jpg
    RedRumpSwallow-June09.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 54
  • PurpleHeron-High-June09.jpg
    PurpleHeron-High-June09.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 56
  • KentishPlover-June09.jpg
    KentishPlover-June09.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 53
Final few for today! I assume the third photo are common waxbill (adult and juv) judging by red on face/beak and flat run of forehead into beak. I didn't get a chance to view them other than this photo, so any id opinions are welcome.

Attachments

• YellowLegGull-Albufeira-Jun.jpg
    YellowLegGull-Albufeira-Jun.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 55
  • AWMagpie-June09.jpg
    AWMagpie-June09.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Waxbill-June09.jpg
    Waxbill-June09.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 67
  • CattleEgret-June09.jpg
    CattleEgret-June09.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 55
  • LittleEgret-Silves-June09.jpg
    LittleEgret-Silves-June09.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 53
Hi Derek
Nice shots, reminds me of my trip to Alvor which is to the west of Pera, in 2007.
Have you compiled a trip report?

regards
Sean

Hi Derek
Nice shots, reminds me of my trip to Alvor which is to the west of Pera, in 2007.
Have you compiled a trip report?

regards
Sean

Hi Sean

No trip report yet, but there will be one when I get a chance. I will put a link to it here when I get it finished. Unfortunately Alvor was quite the day I visited, some little terns, spotless starlings, spanish sparrows, white storks, YL Gulls and lots of house martin were all I really got there. The tide was out and the estuary was full of cockle pickers, so birds were few and far between. As I said previously, timing is so important. Several alpine swift were nesting in the cliffs about a mile east of Alvor.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back