• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK Gull - fuscus (1 Viewer)

vwxyzen

swillybirder
This bird seen in W. Yorkshire this morning. Could it be fuscus or would it be intermedius?

cheers,

Dave.

Attachments

• gull1.jpg
    gull1.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 148
  • gull2.jpg
    gull2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 104
Looks more like intermedius on structure. I find fuscus even more attenuated at the rear and ( allowing for wear and fading ) I wouldn't expect there to be as great a contrast between the upperparts and wingtips. Having said that there is a fair amount of overlap so..................

Chris

Looks more like intermedius on structure. I find fuscus even more attenuated at the rear and ( allowing for wear and fading ) I wouldn't expect there to be as great a contrast between the upperparts and wingtips. Having said that there is a fair amount of overlap so..................

Chris

Just for interest, another couple of pics added to try and show the birds size which was quite slighter than the accompanying LBBG.

Attachments

• gull3.jpg
    gull3.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 67
  • gull4.jpg
    gull4.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 72
if you can find a picture of the Lackford Lake possible fuscus from earlier in the year and compare the size difference you will notice a great deal of size between it and lbb gull. almost black headed gull in size.

if you can find a picture of the Lackford Lake possible fuscus from earlier in the year and compare the size difference you will notice a great deal of size between it and lbb gull. almost black headed gull in size.

There's great difference in size between male and female, this with individual variation makes size quite useless as a id feature.

In Finland this bird wouldn't catch my eye, but when identifying LBBGs location is always the most important criteria (same with Herrings) :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back