• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South West Water's proposed habitat destruction on the Lizard, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

tern

Readers of Bird Forum will be aware of the long-running dispute at Church Cove, the Lizard, Cornwall, where South West Water are proposing to install a transfer pumping station (TPS) in a copse there. The purpose of this thread is to bring the situation up to date and to make a further appeal from members who care about this location to make their views known to SWW in a positive and constructive way.

Church Cove was heavily wooded with mature elms until the 1970s, when Dutch Elm disease completely changed the landscape. In an attempt to put something back into the community and to compensate for some of the trees lost, retired postman Edwin Carter and others planted a copse at the top of the cove, which has been maintained for the last 11 years. Church Cove itself is a well-known location, which is very popular with visiting birders. Its easterly aspect at the southern-most tip of mainland Britain means that it is a favoured location for migrant birds. There are very few areas of woodland on the Lizard, so that even small areas such as this are important for migrant and nesting birds. The wood is also used by badgers; bats are also present in the area and evidence suggests that they are roosting in some of the trees on the boundary of the copse. No invertebrate survey or breeding bird survey has been carried out, according to the Environmental Impact Assessment. Barn Owls are also present in the area and nested less than 100yds away in 2002.

SWW have planning permission to proceed with the construction of the TPS in the copse and now own the land in question. For the last month a protest involving local people has been taking place to show the level of feeling against this controversial proposal. An alternative site has been suggested by the local community, which would make use of open land and would increase the number of trees in the area due to the necessary screening. An overwhelming majority of Church Cove residents recently signed a petition requesting that this site be used.

Despite the intensity of local feeling, the lack of a thorough survey of the habitat about to be destroyed and numerous letters of objection sent when the proposal was under consideration, thus far SWW have remained determined to press ahead with their plans to cut down approximately 60 trees and do not appear to have given proper consideration to the alternative site that the locals would like to see used. Were this just any developer such behaviour would perhaps be expected, but the water companies have biodiversity responsibilities under the Water Act. Of course SWW has a duty to its shareholders, but it also has a duty to its customers and to the wildlife of the area. To proceed with such destructive work without a thorough understanding of what species may be affected is irresponsible.

What SWW may not be aware of is how popular this area is for visiting birdwatchers and naturalists in general. If you have been to Church Cove or just care about some of the issues raised in general please e-mail [email protected], tel. 01392 446688 or write to: Peninsula House, Rydon Lane, Exeter, EX2 7HR.

Below is set out a suggested e-mail that you can cut and paste into your own message.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I am e-mailing you to ask that South West Water reconsider their plans to install a transfer pumping station in the copse at Church Cove on the Lizard peninsula, Cornwall, and look for an alternative and less sensitive site, in keeping with the wishes of the local community. Church Cove is a much-loved site amongst birdwatchers and naturalists around the country, as well as to holiday makers in general, and the loss of this copse will have a negative impact upon the biodiversity of the area, as well as those people who come to appreciate it.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

More news

Thanks to everyone who has e-mailed south-west water. I understand that SWW were in meetings with Devon and Cornwall constabulary this morning, which suggests that action is imminent.
I understand that though specific points have been put to SWW about environmental concerns e.g. the presence of a bat roost, badgers and barn owls in the area, that they have not bothered to comment on these points so far, other than to say that they are still planning to go ahead and that they have honoured all their committments.

Last edited:
This email address is one that I have not had a reply from so looks as if they are raising the sheilds of ignorance and trying to plough ahead (pardon the expression). Pure arrogance appears to be showing now. Anyone else had a reply from this email address?

Bluetail said:
They've ignored mine. Sheer corporate arrogance - but what do you expect from those money-grabbing sharks?

And mine
is there another email address we can use until they get PEEEEED off ?

Thanks to everyone who has e-mailed south-west water. I am sorry to have to report that SWW carried out their proposed work in the Church Cove copse this afternoon. A group of around 30 hefty looking workers came and did the work in a surprise and unannounced move. There was no close supervision to ensure that trees were inspected for bats prior to felling and a bat roost on the edge of the work area is likely to have suffered disturbance.
There were appalling scenes of people being kicked, punched and in one case dragged across barbed wire. The five protestors were severely outnumbered and are currently giving statements to the police about their injuries. Regretably the promised police presence to ensure that things passed peaceably was missing for much of the incident.
I have campaigned hard in a professional capacity over the last few weeks, writing numerous letters to SWW and the planning authority, pointing out the lack of thorough environmental data upon which this decision had been based. All questions have been ignored and no justification has been given for using this site over an alternative.
Well, they're off to Cot Valley soon, as the signs scattered around there at the moment announce. Let's see what a mess they can make of another top birding spot. If you live in the south-west and have work proposed in your area from this company you would be advised to look at the plans and all related documentation thoroughly, as this company is clearly behaving recklessly. The sad thing about all this is that if the Lizard residents had raised more concerns earlier it may have been possible to stop this destruction. Unfortunately they had their eye on much bigger issues, such as the quality of the sewage treatment prior to discharge into the sea. Nevertheless, I would hope that a responsible company, particularly one that makes so much of its environmental record (!) would be more concerned to ensure that a thorough ecological appraisal had been carried out prior to destroying any habitat, particularly in an area where woodland cover is so lacking.

Lizardlight said:
Thanks to everyone who has e-mailed south-west water. I am sorry to have to report that SWW carried out their proposed work in the Church Cove copse this afternoon. A group of around 30 hefty looking workers came and did the work in a surprise and unannounced move. There was no close supervision to ensure that trees were inspected for bats prior to felling and a bat roost on the edge of the work area is likely to have suffered disturbance.
There were appalling scenes of people being kicked, punched and in one case dragged across barbed wire. The five protestors were severely outnumbered and are currently giving statements to the police about their injuries. Regretably the promised police presence to ensure that things passed peaceably was missing for much of the incident.
I have campaigned hard in a professional capacity over the last few weeks, writing numerous letters to SWW and the planning authority, pointing out the lack of thorough environmental data upon which this decision had been based. All questions have been ignored and no justification has been given for using this site over an alternative.
Well, they're off to Cot Valley soon, as the signs scattered around there at the moment announce. Let's see what a mess they can make of another top birding spot. If you live in the south-west and have work proposed in your area from this company you would be advised to look at the plans and all related documentation thoroughly, as this company is clearly behaving recklessly. The sad thing about all this is that if the Lizard residents had raised more concerns earlier it may have been possible to stop this destruction. Unfortunately they had their eye on much bigger issues, such as the quality of the sewage treatment prior to discharge into the sea. Nevertheless, I would hope that a responsible company, particularly one that makes so much of its environmental record (!) would be more concerned to ensure that a thorough ecological appraisal had been carried out prior to destroying any habitat, particularly in an area where woodland cover is so lacking.

You did your level best & worked like a Trojan-very bad luck .
I hope your warning is heeded by others -they are not a responsible company .
Very best wishes
Colin

This is very distasteful news. I hope the Western Morning News has been fully briefed. South West Water should immediately suspend the workers/contractors against whom the violence has been alleged, at least until the matter is properly settled, but I can't see them doing that; the company is not honourable.

Did anyone see Vanstone on the lcoal news yesterday evening. He spoke in an unrepentant and resolute manner and seemed intent on getting his own way. Who does he think he is, Tony Blair?

BTW He claimed some protesters spat at him. Is this true? If so that is unforgivable.

I am sorry if people where harmed during the felling of the trees at Church Cove any "rough" treatment is to be condemned. I must say though that I have heard that EIA (environmental impact assessment) was carried out and submitted to English Nature for their comments several years ago. EN did not, as far as I am aware raise any objections to the work which is needed to protect another fragile habitat, the coast around Church Cove and the Lizard. I do find it very annoying that people think they can stop works or changes to the countryside at the last minuite. These things have to be objected to at an early stage, it is far too late when planning approval has been aproved and all environmental bodies have been consulted. Please, please keep your eyes and ears open for changes in your neighbourhood and voice objections at the very beginning, I understand that very few, if any objections to this proposal were lodged before planning aproval was granted.

QUOTE I must say though that I have heard that EIA (environmental impact assessment) was carried out and submitted to English Nature for their comments several years ago. EN did not, as far as I am aware raise any objections to the work which is needed to protect another fragile habitat, the coast around Church Cove and the Lizard. I do find it very annoying that people think they can stop works or changes to the countryside at the last minuite. These things have to be objected to at an early stage, it is far too late when planning approval has been aproved and all environmental bodies have been consulted. Please, please keep your eyes and ears open for changes in your neighbourhood and voice objections at the very beginning, I understand that very few, if any objections to this proposal were lodged before planning aproval was granted.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how it can be correct to say that the EIA was submitted several years ago, as the report is dated June 2003. Additionally the siting of the Church Cove pumping station in the copse was a comparatively recent development, because one or two local residents objected to the original open field siting of this facility. The fact is that the EIA did not even find the presence of a bat roost in the copse, not to mention various other important species. This may not have been the fault of the consultants as it will depend very much on what brief they were given. Whether planning permission has been granted or not, if new data becomes available, particularly involving protected species, this should be taken into account. As it is, some of the planning approval conditions have also been ignored during the work that has taken place. It is all very well placing faith in the planning system and saying that people should object at the appropriate time, but the developer for their part should also stick to the conditions that are imposed. There certainly were objections to this proposal raised at the appropriate time, but you are right to say that it is better to raise objections much earlier in the development process.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back