• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Lens Wipes (1 Viewer)

John Russell

These will be familiar to many but as questions about lens cleaning crop up frequently, I thought it worth a mention.
I came across them at my local drug store and they were no more expensive than the usual household items.
Zeiss state that they contain no perfumes and that there are only two constituents in the tissues, presumably an alcohol and a tenside.

In the past I have roughly followed the advice in these two links:
http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3b_page.asp?plain=TRUE&id=103#.U4ceSXauOFA
http://scopeviews.co.uk/HowToCleanLens.htm
But the Zeiss lens wipes are a lot more convenient when in the field or on travels.

The second link is, if anything, a little too thorough as most contemporary binoculars and scopes have a hard top coating on oculars and objectives..
Of course, the advice to first use a blower or soft brush still applies but after using the Zeiss wipes, lens surfaces with hydrophobic coatings (Lotutec, Aquadura, Easy to Clean) dry residue-free. Otherwise breathing on the surface and a gentle wipe with a microfibre cloth may be necessary to achieve a pristine surface.

For really stubborn stains the advice in the second link to apply saliva on a clean fingertip is very effective.

John

Last edited:
:t:

Life in Germany.

Zeiss lens wipes sold in local drug store.

Cute.

Zeiss wipes are Made in China. I buy them at Walmart's Vision Center. Very reasonably priced for a product carrying the prestigious blue shield.

For sticky "gunk" that resists wipes, I use ROR (Residual Oil Remover), which I buy at a camera shop.

Brock

Zeiss wipes are Made in China. I buy them at Walmart's Vision Center. Very reasonably priced for a product carrying the prestigious blue shield.

For sticky "gunk" that resists wipes, I use ROR (Residual Oil Remover), which I buy at a camera shop.

Brock

ROR is amazing stuff. I am convinced that "residual oil" is the real culprit for most binocular image degradation, and ROR actually does what its name promises.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back